Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New Tiburon Owner

Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default New Tiburon Owner

Just wanted to Say Hello to everyone.

I was Looking for a Fun little sports coupe Hatch for my daily driver and I came across this 2001 Hyundai Tiburon.

The Car has 80 K on it and has really been taken car of.

I bought it off a 62 year old female school teacher.

Service records were in perfect order with Everything changed when the owners manual called for it. Even the Timing belt and Other Belts, and they went as far as to change all the Hoses.

Garage kept, and No rust any where,, Even looks amazing underneath.

The Clear Coat is starting to go some though.

A Friend of mine told me about some Wipe on Clear Coat that is supposed to really do a good job,, so I may try that in the future.

All the car really needed was tires,so I picked up Some Goodyear eagle GT all seasons for it the other day. Sears Had a Amazing deal on them, so I couldn't beat them for the price.

I was going to put new rims on it too, since the old ones are starting to go , but I'm going to wait till spring to do that, since winter in upon me here in Ohio.

Really Enjoying the Car So far,, It impressed the heck out of me as far as it's Handling !! after the new tires,, the thing feels as good as a 81 280ZX I used to own ! LOL I was Very Surprised.

It's getting kind of hard to Find little Sport Coupe Hatchbacks,, There doesn't seem to be as many as their used to be.

I'm a musician and also own a recording studio, so I needed a Hatch to carry guitars and amps and sound boards, but still wanted a Good handling sports coupe. The Tiburon seems to Fit the Bill.

As for Some questions if you all don't mind,,

Am I correct that this is a RD2 Tiburon ? meaning Second Gen ?

What Kind of MPG should I expect in real world driving ? and are there some things that can increase my MPG ?

Also What are some Simple Tweaks/mods to gain a little more power ? It's Not a Slow Car by any means, But Any recommendations on some simple things to improve that would be Great.

I'm Sure there is Just a TON of information on here,, I just have to start Digging in my spare time.

My plan is to Drive her to 100-120 K and then Sell it and get a 3rd Gen Tiburon.

Anyhow,,,Love the Site, and Glad to join you all.

Thanks for your time and Consideration, Desode in Ohio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00253-20121112-1359(1).jpg (556.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Am I correct that this is a RD2 Tiburon ? meaning Second Gen ?
You are correct! RD2 = 2000 & 2001 models

What Kind of MPG should I expect in real world driving ? and are there some things that can increase my MPG ?
It can vary since it depends on if the car has been taken care of or not, which in this case...it sounds like it has. You can easily achieve 20+ mpg with this car, as long as you drive it well and dont jump on the gas every chance you get. Some people have easily gotten 25+ mpg.

Also What are some Simple Tweaks/mods to gain a little more power ? It's Not a Slow Car by any means, But Any recommendations on some simple things to improve that would be Great.
The first things you can do are intake and exhaust. This will free up quite a bit. You can buy no name cold air intakes off ebay for around $20. Or if you're worried about sucking up water and snow over the winter, just remove the factory air duct and stick a round cone filter on the end of the OEM intake tubing. This is essentially called a short ram intake.

For an exhaust, you can buy a good universal muffler on ebay for $50-70, then go to an exhaust shop and have them put in 2.25" piping from the cat back and weld on the new muffler. It wont be mandrel bent, but the differences between mandrel and crushed bent systems are barely even enough to notice at all.

I'm Sure there is Just a TON of information on here,, I just have to start Digging in my spare time.
You wont find more info on the RD series Tibs anywhere else in the world, than right here on Hyundai Aftermarket.org!

My plan is to Drive her to 100-120 K and then Sell it and get a 3rd Gen Tiburon.
Dont get a GK (3rd gen). They're heavy, bulky, and they have the same HP as the RD1 and 2's if you get the 4 cylinder. The V6 isnt too much more faster. You're better off saving up some money, putting in a small turbo on your RD2 for around $2500-3000, and you'll have one hell of a super fast car that handles like crazy!

Anyhow,,,Love the Site, and Glad to join you all.
Glad to have you ya here! This is the #1 most fun site out there for Hyundai owners, and we're extremely helpful and can point you in the right direction when it comes to mods.

Also, if you love the way the car handles stock, you should think about getting a set of Eibach lowering springs, and a set of KYB struts. Also get front and rear strut bars and sway bars too. The car will handle like its on rails and will impress you a 1000% more than now!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Visionz
You are correct! RD2 = 2000 & 2001 models

It can vary since it depends on if the car has been taken care of or not, which in this case...it sounds like it has. You can easily achieve 20+ mpg with this car, as long as you drive it well and dont jump on the gas every chance you get. Some people have easily gotten 25+ mpg.

The first things you can do are intake and exhaust. This will free up quite a bit. You can buy no name cold air intakes off ebay for around $20. Or if you're worried about sucking up water and snow over the winter, just remove the factory air duct and stick a round cone filter on the end of the OEM intake tubing. This is essentially called a short ram intake.

For an exhaust, you can buy a good universal muffler on ebay for $50-70, then go to an exhaust shop and have them put in 2.25" piping from the cat back and weld on the new muffler. It wont be mandrel bent, but the differences between mandrel and crushed bent systems are barely even enough to notice at all.

You wont find more info on the RD series Tibs anywhere else in the world, than right here on Hyundai Aftermarket.org!

Dont get a GK (3rd gen). They're heavy, bulky, and they have the same HP as the RD1 and 2's if you get the 4 cylinder. The V6 isnt too much more faster. You're better off saving up some money, putting in a small turbo on your RD2 for around $2500-3000, and you'll have one hell of a super fast car that handles like crazy!

Glad to have you ya here! This is the #1 most fun site out there for Hyundai owners, and we're extremely helpful and can point you in the right direction when it comes to mods.

Also, if you love the way the car handles stock, you should think about getting a set of Eibach lowering springs, and a set of KYB struts. Also get front and rear strut bars and sway bars too. The car will handle like its on rails and will impress you a 1000% more than now!

Thanks For the info/wisdom Visionz,,,

One more Tiny question I forgot to ask,, How about a Ebrake Boot ? I have been looking on the web for one with no luck yet.

Maybe Im searching in the wrong places.

Desode
Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

There used to be a member who here sold custom made ones for Tibs, but he has moved onto the Kia Soul scene. You should be able to find them on ebay pretty easily.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+boot&_sacat=0
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

redz wont make RD2 boots anymore? he and his wife used to make all kinds of boots
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I agree with everything Visionz said. Many of us used to own RD2 Tiburons. You'll find just about anything and everything you could think to ask about the car, and then some.

Keep this car. SOOO much better than the 3rd gen (GK)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I think the vendor Dupleman makes various leather bits for tibs. It'd probably be a case of just sending him the old one so he can get the pattern.

Welcome to the club mate
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Welcome. Great place to find great info and chit chat! You have a great car now take care of it and keep the Hyundais alive!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM

I regularly get 30-32 mpg with 90% highway driving. My 01 has 141k miles on her. I was getting about 27mpg, then I put a $40 ebay intake on it and my mileage jumped up instantly. Plus it sounds great and hopefully gave a few extra ponies.

Even though the timing belt has been changed, I would open up the timing cover and check the freeplay on it and condition of belt. It's just 4 10mm bolts, super easy. Free play should be roughly 0.25-0.5" I believe. My belt just blew and I had to do a whole head swap, it was not fun!

How much did you get your tib for?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

welcome

dont ask if xx engine will fit

dont ask if you can make it rwd/awd