Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New Sound...

Old 10-09-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, i had my CEL on again.. well.. checked the gas cap - last time i had some leak there and sensor felt the air..

anyway..i reset the ECU(disconnected the black terminal)...cel is off...

Jsut turned on the car and tried to pull out of driveway...from the right passenger side some loud squeaking noise is heard when turning the weel.. and after the wheel is rotated more than ~120 degrees its rotates hard. i wish i could explain it better..

when trying to rotate it, i have to jerk it a little so it would keep rotating..

anyidea what i'm talking about or what can it be?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:22 PM

Sqeeaking is probably a belt related problem. Hard turning wheel is power steering going bad...
Old 10-09-2005, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

OP is probably right on this one. Have you done the power steering recently?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

lose belt can sqeak, and can cause PS punt not to work (cause pump will not turn)

try spraying WD-40 on the belt and pulley, it may stop that sound. also check belt tension.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:35 PM

it squeaks ONLY when turning the wheel though..
Old 10-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Check power steering fluid... probabally low.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:51 PM

As the weather is starting to get cool (finally) if your powersteering belt is at all less than the recomended tension, it is going to start slipping and squeaking.

You have to remember, the harder you crank the wheel over when turning, and the slower you are going, the MORE pressure the pump needs to make to turn the wheels. If the belt is loose and slipping enough, it is going to allow the pump to stall. If the pump stalls, you are going to momentarily to MANUAL steering and that is a LOT more work (you are also pushing the PS fluid by hand there too)

Check your belts, I bet they are loose. I go through this at the start of every winter when it first starts to get down towards freezing due to my aluminum Underdrive pully, it does not grip the belt as well as the stock steel.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:08 PM

if thats the problem.. should i take it to the shop and have them to look at it?
how safe is it to drive there withthat kind of problem?
Old 10-09-2005, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Nah, it's fine, just loud and annoying.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dmitry @ Oct 9 2005, 03:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>try spraying WD-40 on the belt and pulley, it may stop that sound. also check belt tension.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

NO!!!!! Do not use WD-40. It is too corrosive and will wear the belts down and cause you to replace them. They just need to be tightened. I used WD-40 and had to replace the belts because they were starting to fray. DO NOT USE WD-40!!!

What you explained is exactly what Mad-Machine is saying. The belts may even be too tight as the cooler weather may contract them. You want to adjust the PowerSterring pump/assembly to give the belt no more/no less than 1/4 (If I remember right) of play.

It'll take you a total of like 10 minutes tops to tighten/loosen the belt. More than likely it's loose though.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:41 PM

diy? tongue.gif hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif