Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New Owner

Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 tiburon
Default New Owner

Just bought a 2001 Tiburon 5 speed, off my ex gf for 600 dollars. It has 90,000 original miles. All it needs is a cluch, which I'm installing this weekend. Just figured I'd introduce myself and tell eveyone hi. My names Chris and I'm from Logan, West Virginia.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 AM

Vehicle: 1999/hyundai/tiburon

What a good steal from the ex...to bad u didnt low ball on the price!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon

Originally Posted by Rd1cuda
What a good steal from the ex...to bad u didnt low ball on the price!!!!
She offered it to me for that, after talking about just scrapping it.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

You'll find soooooooooooooo much info here on the RD1 and 2 Tibs. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I'm guessing since its a southern car, there probably isnt any rust on it and the body is decent?

As for clutches, you can find them all over ebay for super cheap. If you're just gonna leave it stock or do the usual bolt ons, then you can get away with either a stage 1 or 2 clutch. Try and get a light weight flywheel to go with it and you'll enjoy it even more. Otherwise if you dont get one, make sure the flywheel is resurfaced when installing the clutch or else you may get some clutch chatter and wear the new clutch out quickly. Also be sure to break it in properly for maximum life expectancy.

Any other plans for the car other than the clutch swap?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

So many of us used to own Tiburons. Feel free to ask away.

At 90k, I'd consider spark plugs/wires if they've never been done. Who knows, maybe timing belt since the rubber is over a decade old.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Woah! 600 bucks!?! You got that thing for a steal! You probably don't even realize how good of a car the RD2 Tib is yet. My advise, fix it and enjoy it. While slightly underpowered the original (RD1-RD2) Tiburon is an excellent drivers car. Welcome to the site!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Also, you can get an intake and do an exhaust on it all for under $200 and it will really help out in the power department. No name cold air intakes on ebay can be bought for $20, a decent universal muffler can be pretty cheap, and any exhaust shop can install 2.25" or 2.5" crush bent piping from the cat back for around $100-150.

Grab an HID kit for $50-60, throw some clear corners on the front, tint the tails, rip apart the dash and paint it a nice neutral color, etc. TONS of things can be done pretty cheap and very easily that will make the car stand out pretty well.

Plugs and wires are dirt cheap and only take about 10 minutes to do. Same thing with new oil and filter. Timing belt should definitely be done if its never been done before. If you dont think you can do it, then a shop will charge around $200-300 depending on where you go. They should be done every 60-70K miles. If it snaps, say goodbye to your engine.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by Visionz
Timing belt should definitely be done if its never been done before. If you dont think you can do it, then a shop will charge around $200-300 depending on where you go. They should be done every 60-70K miles. If it snaps, say goodbye to your engine.

Recent Proof:

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...ll-turns-over/
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

$600?!

I've pondered buying a 2nd RD2 for extra fun. Even in my current state $600 is too good of a deal to pass.

Congrats!! Welcome to the RD family

Also:

Originally Posted by Visionz
Also, you can get an intake and do an exhaust on it all for under $200 and it will really help out in the power department. No name cold air intakes on ebay can be bought for $20, a decent universal muffler can be pretty cheap, and any exhaust shop can install 2.25" or 2.5" crush bent piping from the cat back for around $100-150.

Grab an HID kit for $50-60, throw some clear corners on the front, tint the tails, rip apart the dash and paint it a nice neutral color, etc. TONS of things can be done pretty cheap and very easily that will make the car stand out pretty well.

Plugs and wires are dirt cheap and only take about 10 minutes to do. Same thing with new oil and filter. Timing belt should definitely be done if its never been done before. If you dont think you can do it, then a shop will charge around $200-300 depending on where you go. They should be done every 60-70K miles. If it snaps, say goodbye to your engine.
what he said.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Definitely do your timing belt! I delayed a week too long!!! I'm the one that just had a blown head since my belt snapped on my while driving. It's really not that bad of a job to do. The hard part is removing everything to get to the damn thing. Check out my thread for help/answers to everything. This forum is awesome for help.

I'm suuuuper jealous, I just bought mine with 138k miles for $2k! Then dumped several hundred more into it for the stupid head/timing belt change!