Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New owner of a 2001 hyundai tiburon, having issues.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

20mpg is pretty bad. You might want to replace your 02 sensors and for bad shifting I would try a fluid change and replace your Throttle Position Sensor.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand NO.

I got 20-21MPG in straight city driving, and with the same car I got 31MPG on the highway, with an automatic in good condition. To recommend people just start replacing stuff without knowing what is wrong is irresponsible at best.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I got as much as 35mpg one trip, but I drove it hard all the time and saw 20-21 over 8 years

We've had threads in the past. Some are better than others
Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

could the weather have anything to do with it? because i live in MI and its freezing here, today it was warmer and the trans wasnt acting up as much as ususal lol.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Cold weather isn't the cause. Your car just need a little maintenance and some TLC it will be a really fun car.

And (@krazytib) no, don't start throwing random parts at a problem, you'll just make it worse. Get the rotation and make sure you get them balanced at the same time. It'll cost less than $20 and if there's a bigger problem you'll know right away.

For the trans get a few quotes. You'll find many places that give a free "second" opinion especially with the economy in its current state so just tell them you "had it looked at" and want a second op, they'll throw it on the rack then you can snag some cold hard facts. I would get at least 3 non-dealer shops to look. Not only will you get a better idea of what you're in for, you can also do some easy price comparison. But take it from me, make DAMN sure they warranty the work and use ONLY Hyundai fluid. I'm sure there is some that work, but don't risk it. If you want a good daily driver double check these facts

@Majik, if you're driving hard I can easily see 25, 20 still seems really bad but I am extra light on the throttle these days. Maybe it's old age
Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Cold weather isn't the cause. Your car just need a little maintenance and some TLC it will be a really fun car.

And (@krazytib) no, don't start throwing random parts at a problem, you'll just make it worse. Get the rotation and make sure you get them balanced at the same time. It'll cost less than $20 and if there's a bigger problem you'll know right away.

For the trans get a few quotes. You'll find many places that give a free "second" opinion especially with the economy in its current state so just tell them you "had it looked at" and want a second op, they'll throw it on the rack then you can snag some cold hard facts. I would get at least 3 non-dealer shops to look. Not only will you get a better idea of what you're in for, you can also do some easy price comparison. But take it from me, make DAMN sure they warranty the work and use ONLY Hyundai fluid. I'm sure there is some that work, but don't risk it. If you want a good daily driver double check these facts

@Majik, if you're driving hard I can easily see 25, 20 still seems really bad but I am extra light on the throttle these days. Maybe it's old age
Hey thanks so much you have been very helpful (so has everyone else), If i have anymore questions I'll for sure post my questions in this thread.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 PM

Hey guys I got my car looked at and he said that I have air in my trans fluid and thats whats causing the hard shifting and everything, he explained to me why it stopped after i restarted the car but i forgot what he said, but he is just going to put in some new fluid in and fix the bearing. so hopefully after all that is done it stops the hard shifting..