Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New owner of a 2001 hyundai tiburon, having issues.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

well i plan on getting the leak fixed, (which they said would be around 500 dollars) its like a bearing thats worn out or something.. hopefully when i get that fixed it might stop shifting so funny, im just pissed because i have nothing but bad luck with cars lol. but at least i dont need to worry about the trans right this second.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Cars are not a matter of luck.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

make sure he uses Hyundai Automatic Transmission Fluid. SP-III if I remember correctly. A quick call to the dealership will get you a definite answer
Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If you bought it from a dealer I suggest you take it back and either return it or get them to help fix the problem. Many dealers have mechanics on the payroll so giving you a huge discount is not that big of a deal to them.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Administrator

^ which is why I asked earlier if it was bought from a dealer or private seller. It's easier to work with a dealership for a 30-60-90 day warranty, or repair an obvious problem that wasn't disclosed.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i bought it at an auction..
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

the slipping a hard shifts make sense, the way a Auto works is by movement of fluid, so low fluid would kill it, and make it work incorrectly, if you filled it up and worked superb, then done deal, it should be alright, with the exception of a bad bearing and leaking... just be sure you keep up on the fluid while it leaks, as if you drive on low fluid you could end up replacing the trans instead of a bearing, which anyway would possibly be cheaper if you could do the Labor your self that is!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I would say it's a fair assumption that this was a private purchase.

As for the other issues, I'm curious about the heat problem. Best I have seen all RD tibs warm up pretty quickly, mine's and the other RDs in our complex warm with full heat long before one can even scrape frost of all the windows, but it never exceeds the halfway mark. Now, if yours is getting really hot (way over half) that might be signs of a bigger problem.

As for the fuel mileage, seeing ~20mpg is a bit crazy. I suspect that with the trans you're driving highway speeds in 3rd, basically going everywhere WOT. That and perhaps you need to check the fuel filter, evap system, plugs an wires. These are things that I had to do right after getting my RD2. Does the check engine light ever come on? With the EVAP issue mine was intermittent, basically went away when I drove WOT so when my trans started acting up it was hard to diagnose. Granted with the EVAP issue the engine also felt pretty fatigued, it would try to stall at light and whatnot. (Damn you vapor lock! ) Experience any of the above symptoms?

When is comes to the tires it might be worthwhile to go pay for a rotate with balance. Depending on where you go it's not terribly expensive and they can check for tire wear, bearing issues, bad balance, alignment and even the dreaded bent rim. Especially good option if you're not familiar with the car yet.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Administrator

I got 20-21mpg CONSISTENTLY over the life of my Tiburon. I drove it hard, and we have nothing but hills here in Tennessee. Locations and driving habits are a big contributor. We've had several threads over the years trying to see why some people get 30+ and some only get 20. It just happens that way.

Also, he said he bought it at an auction.

He also said it doesn't overheat.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

For reason I missed those earlier posts

But 20? really?! Granted the hills and all but unless you were driving it really hard that's harsh. I was getting about 25 when the evap and MAF were borked but once fixed I was back to 30+. And trust me, I'm no slug coming from a light.