Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New Muffler Vs. Catback - Any Difference?

Old 03-12-2006, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any performance improvement to be had going with a full catback versus just getting a Magnaflow muffler? From what I have read so far on these forums the exhaust restrictions and consequent loss of power are nearly all coming from the muffler itself (and perhaps to some degree from the exhaust manifold), so I don't really see what the advantage of the more expensive catback is (other than the fact that it may do a better job of tuning the exhaust sound than a new muffler alone).
Old 03-12-2006, 03:02 AM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

if you are talking baout just the magnafow muffler, well the job of the muffler is the make things softer so changin it will make your car louder.

The full catbacks usally come with a larger diameter piping that allows exhaust to flow out of the system quicker. dont forget abotu exhaust stock resonators that also restricts exhaust gas flow.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Get a catback just getting a muffler is rice and doesnt effect ure hp much. Look at the bends in ure exhaust now theyre crush bent very restrictive. The motoria has mandrel (none of th little ripple things also its .5 inches bigger i think)
Old 03-12-2006, 07:16 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

questions like these have been answered a million times

please use the search button in the top right under "site info"