Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New Headers And Emmision Test

Old 07-11-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^true

And no, you will not pass PA state emissions without the first cat from the stock manifold without a cool inspection guy...I live in NE PA too and have the GT header and the guy inspecting my car called me into the bay and told me that "You put it on after inspection...right?" So if you go to a place that's really strict about upholding PA regs, you will not pass with a header regardless of emissions, ODB II, etc etc....the law says that you can not modify an exhaust to be louder than stock or to have worse emissions, regardless of the fact that our emissions are better than basically 90% of the other cars on the road to start with...
Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 PM

NE PA? Where at? I live in E-burg and we have no worries about emissions. Anyway, I put on a Carsound cat after the headers and placed the downstream O2 sensor after the cat with no problems. By the way, it is not against the law to install headers into your car. If your car has a cat, passes emissions, and none of the sensors are throwing any codes, you are within your legal right to install headers.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:43 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

i live in southern pennsylvania and i passed with only one cat and a header. You shouldn't get a cel if you remove one of the cats as long as you still have the 2nd 02 sensor in place.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:05 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mr_jeckel @ Jul 11 2006, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>NE PA? Where at? I live in E-burg and we have no worries about emissions. Anyway, I put on a Carsound cat after the headers and placed the downstream O2 sensor after the cat with no problems. By the way, it is not against the law to install headers into your car. If your car has a cat, passes emissions, and none of the sensors are throwing any codes, you are within your legal right to install headers.</div>

I live in Canadensis like 15 minutes north of you. I know it isn't illegal to "install headers", but it is illegal to remove a catalytic converter, so with the RD2 manifold that has the cat on it, it makes it illegal to remove it. At least that's what I was told at my last inspection.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 PM

I grew up right near Alpine, so I know where you are at. Anyway, technically speaking, your not supposed to remove a cat from an exhaust system from a car unless you can prove that it failed and needs to be replaced. But, enforcement of this is pretty much non-existent. The reason is that you can buy other cat's that meet EPA standards. For the most part, as long as your car has a cat (one that converts enough gases), throws no codes, and can pass the level of emissions required for your area, then you are good to pass inspection and emissions. Any garage that hassles you about putting headers in your car is probably going to find another reason to fail you anyway. In that case, just go to another garage. By the way, this does not hold true for California and other states that have taken California's standards. Any aftermarket component that you install in these states must be CARB exempt.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:52 PM

Yea I actually worked at Alpine last winter because it's like 5 minutes away. But I was a little surprised when they said that to me because I had no CEL and still have a cat between the flexpipe and exhaust piping. It was also at a Midas and they always seem to "find something wrong" so I was suspect...but he wasn't that bad about it.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:58 PM

Hey bro, i say the same thing, buy a carsound cat on ebay, they are cheap but make sure to buy from this seller: <span style="color:#FF0000">PerformancePaddler</span>. This guy has a great service and a fast shipping. I bought mine from him. haha.gif