Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New Exhaust

Old 06-17-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would anyone know If i would be able to go to a muffler shop and have them make me a 2 1/4 inch pipe from the cat to my muffler? Preferable going under the rear axel. I know it depends on the place tho.

Cause I dont know where to get a cat back exhaust around here and I don't feel like ordering one from anywhere.

word.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 AM

Pretty much any shop worth their salt should be able to make what your looking for. Be SURE to ask for mandrel bends, that some shops wont be able to do.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 AM

Ah ok.

Would it cost more to have it with mandrel bends?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Most shops don't do mandrel bending. Press bent will be fine. Just do NOT go crush bent!

BTW a majority of your muffler shops can do press bending.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 AM

Would it be a good idea if I just had a straight pipe from the cat to my muffler? no glasspack or anything.

Cause my friend has that, its a bit loud but my muffler tip isnt as loud as his anyways.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:04 AM

Vehicle: 1997/Tiburon/FX

I wouldnt recommend a straight pipe, its going to most likely be really loud and ricey sounding
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

Got a hi-flow cat? Would be a good idea to put one of those in as well.

I'd also recommend putting in a glasspack... I have a glasspack and its still pretty loud (even with a 3 chamber muffler). So... no don't do a straight pipe heh.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

If you are doing your exhaust, there is no reason at ALL to waste money on anything else than Mandrel bends. If you don't know of a local shop that does mandrel bends, then call around till you find one that will. Meinike does them, most places that make performance or custom exhausts for their businesses, DO mandrel bends. Most of them will NOT have a Mandrel bender, but instead have pre bent stock that they cut and weld to fit.

If you are paying for something, get the best of the best. It won't cost much more.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:44 PM

go with a ressinated test pipe
Old 06-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Banned

unless you are making your car a race car, just go with press bends, they are a lot more available, and have minimal harm to the flow of the exhaust, AND are cheaper..

if you compare any of the catbacks available for our cars, and then compare to a custom press bent under axle system, i am sure the press bent would be better, just for fact its under axle.

anyways, as long as you go under axle, the press bent exhaust will be more than fine, and provide good gains.. with the under axle system for our cars, there is only one sharp bend, which will be where the press bent style will be most restricted over mandrel style.

a press bent system will not be AS good as mandrel bent, but it will be cheaper, and just as effective to the everyday driver..

if you are building your car for bigger power, or to race, go with mandrel, otherwise save some money and go with press bent.

now, so your exhaust doesn't sound like shit, dont get an OBX header, that will help you more than anything.. a stock cat or high flow cat will do fine.

a good quality, good size resonator will help keep the exhaust loudness and buzz down. or a high quality, high flowing, non straight thru muffler for the inline piping.

get a GOOD quality flowing muffler, not the first fart can you see on ebay. if you get the non straight thru inline muffler, a simple nice looking straight thru fart can will do just fine..

DO NOT use a crappy resonated test pipe, itll sound like crap.