Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New Engine

Old 06-30-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^mad i'm gonna have to disagree w/ you on that.....

I beleive that the newest 4g63 (japanese version) is very close to being a bolt in affair....

BUT since noone has said so in this thread, I'm going to remind all of you of a couple things :

The Beta (I) engine was originally designed to put out close to 400 hp, with boost (turbo) going to a 4WD drivetrain.
The Tiburon was designed to compete in the WRC :-) w/ the mass production of our cars merely a requirement to compete.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:34 PM

I never heard anything about the tib being designed for WRC.. if it was a homogolation special, it would have a LOT better performance and probably be all wheel drive... but I do not doubt you about the engine..

I also was not considering using another make's engine.. just that in the current Hyundai Lineup.. there is NO better engine than the Beta for our cars...
Old 07-02-2004, 01:09 PM

I discussed swapping out my tranny for one of the new 6 speed tranny's with the guys at the hyundai dealership. They said to do that it would cost me around 13 grand for the whole set up. So, just imagine how much an entire new engine would cost.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:24 PM

Mad, i agree w/ the engine, as far as hyundai's current line up is concerned.......

And i remember in late 95 seeing my first tib......on SPEED (then speedvision) in a rally......I loved it immediately. TRUELY HATED the 2nd gen when it came out......but it grew on me fairly quickly.....I bought mine in aprill of 00 and its build date is July of 99. so it's one of the tibs from 1st 2nd gen production run.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:53 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jdubb)</div><div class='quotemain'>I discussed swapping out my tranny for one of the new 6 speed tranny's with the guys at the hyundai dealership. They said to do that it would cost me around 13 grand for the whole set up. So, just imagine how much an entire new engine would cost.</div>

I knew it! I knew it! Good God man.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

hmmm i really didnt know how good the beta engine was....can any one tell me how much it cost to get it up to the 400+hp? cuz thats a LONG way from the stock engine........
Old 07-02-2004, 04:14 PM

13 grand for the whole set up? I really doubt that...
Old 07-14-2004, 11:10 PM

Default FS: 97 Red Tiburon

the 4g63 started in the 1989 Galant VR-4. 4g engine is 20+ years old. the strongest and most favorable 4g63 is the 6bolt.
nabisco people fear libra's awd ~97 tib which has been winning american rally for ages (or something LOL).
if kept a fwd, the only big problem i think is the rear of the tranny...and one side (piping)...
4wd (4g) i think its the rear bar dunno what its called but its that big chunk in the way... you also cant have rear seats i think.. (tell me if im wrong, cause who knows, i must know who does)
Old 07-16-2004, 05:40 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine)</div><div class='quotemain'>13 grand for the whole set up? I really doubt that...</div>

i was suprised it took this long for someone to comment here..... you've gotta' be kidding me. i've been getting quotes on my tranny swap, and even the WORST one wasn't even 5k

as far as the engine swap goes..... i'd suggest pullin' the beta and goin' crazy on it. cams, crank, gears, throttle body, valves, cylinders, injectors, IM, super/turbo, re-enforced block (almost crate style).... and so on. i'm sure you get the picture.

if you're gonna' do a totally different engine swap, you might as well buy a new car. like someone said before, i could see putting a skyline engine in a smaller car, but why swap when you're at the top of the food chain?

you planning on converting to drag style?