Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New Cel! Dammit...

Old 02-18-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

i'm 500 miles from home and the CEL was gone, now i have one. the car is running fine. i have been driving at 85 MPH the whole way stopping about every thirty mins to check and make sure the car's in good shape. everything seems to be fine, but CEL is still on. My father says it could be the car overheating but the bottom hose to the radiator is barely even hot and the car reads three forths up. the car's been goin at 4600 RPMs the whole trip...

Any clue what it could be? i'm goin to stop in the next city to either get a code for you all or just buy a CEL reader. Any advice would be good cuz i still have another 2500 miles to go over the next week. Thanks.

oh, i forgot to mention that the car has 188K miles. might help w/ diagnosing a problem

<span style="color:#CC0000">i edited this mess of a post. ~Sparticus</span>
Old 02-18-2006, 09:14 AM

three quarters? If you look carefully at your temp guage.. there are a pair of "ghost" dots on the face about half way.. the needle usually resides between those two dots.

Personally, if you are scared of your tib right now.. SLOW DOWN! If you are having an engine problem, keeping it at that speed is only going to make it worse. You are also wasting a LOT of fuel.. anything over 75mph is like running a hose out the tank onto the ground.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:24 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ nah... 125 is like running a hose.... and putting marbles under the tires wink1.gif

I don't understand what the problem is. Have you checked the position of all sensors? Does it run fine? Is there an autozone anywhere near you that could check the codes? My car never threw a CEL when it overheated. Need more info on the problem.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

next time you stop, pull into an Auto Zone or anything similar. They can read your codes and tell you what's wrong. Give us the code that they find. Is there anything you notice? Rough idle, bad gas mileage, anything?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

P1034 or P0134 cant remember its been afew days. I have made it from S.FL. to Northern Texas. No probs other than rough roads tearing apart my suspension. Gunna need all new bearings and struts when i get there. anywhay the cel is something about a O2 sensor. thing is ill reset it and it wont pop back up for acouple hundred miles.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 PM
DTN

if you need to pull over somewhere, i got a place for you in wichita falls on sheppard AFB in north texas. We have a DIY auto shop here.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:51 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

OK if you are trying to save time by driving 85 mph, ur just shooting yourself in the foot by stopping every 30 minutes, and your probably hurting your engine doing it. You would cover the same amount of ground and your engine would thank you if you just drove 70.

anyway

Which o2 sensor? if its the second then who cares, if its the first one then the driving should feel different. as it wouldnt be able to fine tune the A/F ratio as well or at all

the temp being at 3/4 could be from going @ 4600 rpms for a half an hour
Old 02-21-2006, 08:04 PM
DTN

temp will never rise or fall if everything is working properly. those ghost dots are JUST big enough on the RD2 to fit a needle in. That's where the needle stays.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

The two codes you listed are not real CEL codes, however:

P0133 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank1, Sensor1)
P0134 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Inactive (Bank1, Sensor2)

If it's the first o2 sensor, you've got problems, because your car is going to tell the ECU to run in limp mode.
If it's the second o2 sensor, don't worry about it, fix it when you get home.

Also, not all RDs have the "ghost dots" on the gauge faces.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:31 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Feb 18 2006, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>three quarters? If you look carefully at your temp guage.. there are a pair of "ghost" dots on the face about half way.. the needle usually resides between those two dots.

Personally, if you are scared of your tib right now.. SLOW DOWN! If you are having an engine problem, keeping it at that speed is only going to make it worse. You are also wasting a LOT of fuel.. anything over 75mph is like running a hose out the tank onto the ground.</div>

I concur except the 75 MPH. I go 70 MPH. 65 MPh and 70 MPH is a good range. and driving 85 MPH and stopping every 30 minutes? You mind as well drive 65 MPH and just stop for gas....