Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Need help! Knocking noise!

Old 02-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>They are little internal thingies... to check those you would have to tear off the head and such. If I'm understanding the meaning of an engine bearing correctly.

Is your oil level normal and is it fresh?</div>

oil is relatively fresh and should be in level. Car runs very strong and smooth except that crap! grrrr

It only happens when I move, if the car is still no noise, so I'm hoping it's something suspesion related!
Old 02-09-2005, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If something is wrong engine related or tranny related, you would be able to feel it 9 times out of 10. I felt slightly more roughness in idle, checked out my car and I had a hairline crack in my motor mount. If its strong and smooth, the engine and tranny itself are probably ok.

It probably is suspension... what it is is beyond me. Mad or someone else might have more insight than me.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:35 PM

Well, if it only happens when you move, it shouldn't be engine related, unless it happens when you accelerate in neutral. Try accelerate in neutral up to 3000 rpm slowly and gradually, if the sound doesn't come, it's not engine.
Now, if it's when you move, could be transmission or suspension, it's difficult to get an idea about the noise, but try to check the easy parts to discard.
Suspension:
Look underneeth the car, locate the sway bar and check sway bar links
Check all suspension bushings and try to move them check for any play there
Check your strut mount (it's easy from the engine bay, there is a small plastic cap on top of the shock absorber, see if you see any cracks in the rubber piece in there).
Lift the car and spin the wheels to check if there is any noise when spinning the wheel
If nothing comes up, drive to 30mph and then put neutral and release the clutch, so you could see if it's actually a motion sound or a transmission sound.
Good Luck
Old 02-09-2005, 04:59 PM

hmmm... you hit the redline and then when you shifted the engine bucked a lot.. I am betting on a broken tranny or engine mount. In neutral there is not enough torque to really rock the engine, but once you put the power to the wheels, the torque will try and twist the engine towards the front of the car. I would check the roll snubbers under the engine and then check the other mounts for torn rubber bushings
Old 02-09-2005, 06:45 PM

Now that Mad brings it up... it is a possibility. And to think I mentioned it in my post but not as a possibility.

I doubt you completely snapped a mount. I broke one halfway down the track and trust me you know you broke one. Car became near undrivable. You could've cracked one a little though I'm sure. Check the front engine mount first... they have the most strain on them. Then the rear and then the tranny. You wouldn't break a side mount shifting.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:18 PM

Lots of good replies and helpful info! Thanks a lot guys. Makes me feel that people actually care.

Well, back on topic.

I came home from school, drove 55mph max in the right lane just in case something happens so I can pull over. Same noise, I think it got a little louder as I was driving, maybe not. Here are my conclusions that I made after driving the car tonight:
Can't be tranny because it shifts smoothly and doesn't show any weirdness.
Can't be engine because it pulls just like it always did, no loss of power at all.

It must be something wheel/suspension related. Joint or something. Car rides fine while I'm in gear and accelerating, once I let go the gas it starts knocking on the bottom front left side that I can feel the fibration on my feet a little. So it must be somewhere in the wheel, because when the pressure is aplied it's all tied once I take foot off the gas it knocks. I got car to 35mph and put it in neutral and the noise was still there. Revved in neutral, no change. Revved in nautral while standing, no noise. When I brake the noise stops weatger I'm in gear or not. So, it's definitely some stupid joint or something.

I will be taking it off tomorrow and see what's going on.

Thanks for all of your input guys.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:07 AM

you may think this sounds stupid but check your exhaust. my dad's jetta when put into gear bangs around under the car. its very loud and annoying. his motor mount is also broken. The one in front. It's not impossible drive, just have to let off the clutch VERY slowly. (Which I hate because at a light I am usually the first one off the line. I dont do it on purpose its just how i drive.) If you take off slow, It's fine.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Does the noise completely stop when you hit the brakes, or does it just slow down??

If it stops as soon as you hit the brakes that would mean brakes definitely. If it slows down only, then I would have to say driveshaft/tranny would be to blame.

Off the wall question but if you push in the clutch can you feel anything through the pedal?? Vibrations of any kind??

That would lead me to believe tranny as well.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:08 PM

Problems solved guys. It was just a plastic protection that we all have. Mine was cut when I installed my CAI and it went loose and started hitting the wheel or something.

Thanks for all of your input.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:31 PM

Funny when its that simple huh? tongue.gif Be happy thats the only problem.