Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Need Help! Car Wont Start

Old 07-19-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

OK Ill try and give as much info as possible here. A week ago the car was running perfect. Little bit of idle issues because the IAC is gone and the TB is opened slightly to control idle. Also a little bit of hesitation here and there. Felt like fuel was cutting out a little bit (or spark I suppose) A few says ago now I washed the car, along with the engine bay. I then removed all A/C stuff from the car. After all that I started it up and it started right up as usual. Went to take it around the block a couple times. Let it hit the slightest amount of boost (gated at 3psi and it had been handling that very well) and it cut out hard. Backed off for a little and tried again. Same thing. So I turn around to head back and its running real rough and then the CEL flashes which explained the running rough. Got home to read out a cylinder 3 misfire. Pulled the plug wire and it was basicaly boiling under it (water) Pulled the plug and dried it off and turned it over to get any water out that was in there.

Went on vacation for a few days and hadnt ran the car since the misfire turned up. Made sure everything was good and started it. Started right up immediately. Went to back it out and it wouldnt idle at all and died. After that I could get it started but not to rev past 1k. Now it wont even start. Here is what I have tried:

Checked plugs, they were fouled but I cleaned them and they are plenty good to run.
Checked spark, seemed good
Checked injector signal, good
I can smell fuel so there is plenty of that, can hear pump running
Replaced crank sensor with another used one, no change
Replaced coil with another used one, no change
Compression is 150 in all 4. Seems low, anyone know our spec off hand?

I think thats it. Any ideas to check are welcome and I will check tomorrow after work.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

If your getting water in the cylinder your head gasket is gone.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:55 PM

It was just the one time. Water from cleaning the engine bay leaked past the spark plug boot.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

my guess is that you have more water in there then expected... i say rip it apart and let it dry out good... i know when i washed my engine bay i got tons of water in there and i had to leave everything dis-assembled for 2 days and then it was good to go. still got a code for a couple days tho... i just kept clearing it and then after a couple days it runs good.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 PM

Will do. Its open outside now and Ill look at it some tomorrow when its light out. Give me a chance to work on a different project a little.

OK so went out today and buttoned it up. Started right up and idled great. Shut it off for a few to clear some stuff out of the engine bay and it still started good. Got out of the driveway and started to drive. Immediately it started to buck and hesitate like crazy again. Got it into a neighbors driveway and it wouldnt start again. Went to eat dinner, came out and it fired right up. Then coming up the driveway it did the same shit again. Any ideas?

I did replace the TPS with a good one as well just to try another thing.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM

Went out today and without doing anything it fired right up. Ran good for a few minutes idling and light revving. then it started to idle rough and wouldnt rev past 2k no matter what. Then it died and will not start again.

I swapped the ECU for another and it had no affect.

So my problem more detailed now is it runs ok when cold. When engine warms up, it runs horrible and stalls and then will not start. ANYONE AT ALL?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

I don't know if this will help, but last year a friend of mine told me a guy who had similar issues after he wash his turboed cavy bay, no one could figure it out?,turns out one of his couplers on his piping(which didnd't leak under boost) swallowed lots of water into the piping and intercooler!, lots of hours,swapping parts and stuff before they found the water in the intercooler., just a thought....
Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 PM

Understandable for sure. I did pull the pipe off at the throttle body and it seemed ok but im going to check that. Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hmm, I skimmed through this really quick, have you checked your MAF and IAT?

I'd go through and check every sensor you have, the connections, and the seals. Check the seals on your fuel injectors too.

Is the CKP tight?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM

Ya its tight. And I swapped it out for another one. The MAF is super rigged right now but it was working perfectly so Im thinking its ok. I really need that MS so I can get rid of that damn MAF. Im leaning towards what Regit said now and Im going to have to check Weds. Sounds like it could definately be the problem.