Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

N/A Tuning for our cars

Old 01-26-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think the above is a little overkill.. would probably sit you near 190 if anything... Naturally aspirated is a tough road to take, although there is less maintenence and wear involved if done properly. Stock fuel should be fine for 175...
Old 01-26-2005, 01:05 PM

N/A and turbo setups acheive different goals. A turbo will give you great power but it's unreliable, weaker response and much more complex. N/A will give you great response, reliability but the hp/$ is far less tahn with a turbo.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:09 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MechaniX_034)</div><div class='quotemain'>-Port/chamber work
-Cams + cam gears
-reduced thickness gasket, perhaps 0.8 or even 0.7?
-deck the head to up compression
-Install hi-comp pistons and appropriate rings
-Air Ram
-EXH manifold dia. port-matched to EXH port dia. The idea behind this is to prevent resonance and to max out pulse speed as they leave the ports for better scavenging effect. The extractor should integrate a shallow-angle merge collector. The runner length should be equal and section constant.
-High flow cat
-matched diameter catback, mandrel sections only, minimize bends
-UD kit[only if you will run the car at high RPM consistantly]
-Management. Motec's M4[wire-in] at the minimum.
-FPR[try to use a SARD unit as the diaphram design of these allow them to react more quickly to vacuum]
-BBTB: try to use one that isnt too big or else charge velocity will be reduced.</div>

These are like my exact plans for power summed up into 15-20 lines. Thanks MechaniX, you seem very knowledgeable. I've always liked Australians and wish to visit there more often.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

hes not australian...just going to school there or somethingbut yes, definately knowledgeable.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:56 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TiburonWao)</div><div class='quotemain'>What about fuel consummption with 175WHP??????</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>Stock fuel should be fine for 175...</div>

not sure...but i think he meant the change in MPG from stock to 175
Old 01-26-2005, 06:29 PM

Hi-Comp pistons or Hi-Cams I would run 93 octane gas. Fuel consumption shouldn't go down much... if you mean how much you get mpg. If you go I/H/E... your fuel consumption actually goes down. But you want to floor it everywhere so you burn more fuel. tongue.gif
Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 PM

exactly......

I think that it would be feel great having 175WHP all the time.... thats the best part on N/A power over a Turbo
Old 01-26-2005, 10:03 PM

I'm rather curious... With NA mods, do you actually lose power in the lower end? 0-60 time is a good thing, I'd hate to lose that for higher end power.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:19 PM

Hrm, well depends. With higher lift/duration/overlap cams your going to lose low-end power, and its all going to rush on a 4300-5500, depending on the cam.

Hi-Comp pistons your going to gain low-end. Ever wonder why turbo DSMs don't just come 8.5 or lower from the factory to be safe? Because 8-8.5 would make it seem like a sloth around town and the car would never sell. So they run 9.2 and sacrifice some engine safety for low-end.

Either way, your 0-60 isn't going to slow down because of naturally aspirated. Your in the top of the powerband in a second or two, and you won't even feel the loss of low end. It might help you get traction, never know. Your going to feel it when your trying to get your car to go in second gear around town at 12mph and it won't go anywhere. This isn't just a n/a problem. Low compression turbo engines do this as well.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:21 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (breck)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm rather curious... With NA mods, do you actually lose power in the lower end? 0-60 time is a good thing, I'd hate to lose that for higher end power.</div>

Let's just asume that we don't give a damn about DSM's and he dosn't plan on adding higher compression piston and just wants basic N/A mods like the majority of people here..

It depends on what you add. For example, If you add a 4-1 header, you'll gain top end at the expense of torque. Most N/A mods will not cause you to loose horsepower...