Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Is my Tibby dead? ... UPDATE: No it's not! :)

Old 05-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

that's what the Hyundai Roadside Assistance is for... I've used it three times... free towing to any dealership :-) I choose the one 25 miles away, and bypass the 2 that are closer wink.gif
Old 05-13-2004, 02:49 AM

Could just be a dead battery.. Turn your headlights on, and see if they are dim. If so, battery may be the main problem.. (remeber check the simplist thing first).. yank the bugger out, and take it whatever autoparts place, and have them check the battery. If that don't help do the fuse thing, as mentioned above.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:38 PM

damn that happened to me i sat in my car for about 20 minutes just tryin to turn the freakin key!,...but it finally gave and my car started. that sux i hate when stupid sh!t like that happens.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:12 PM

ummm...joe, nice avatar. ;-)

A lil update.
The car is getting minimal juice: I'm sitting in the driver's seat, and the door is open. The door ajar warning light is on, but VERY dim. If I depress on the brake pedal, the warning light turns off. The brake lights are very dim. This sounds to me like a dead battery.

You guys suggested that the ECU fuse might be blown, but I checked it and it's still intact. In fact I checked all the fuses (visually) that I could. The ones I couldn't check were the black boxy ones. I did notice that there's a fuse for "Start" and it's one of the black box ones, so I don't know how to check it and I don't know where to get a replacement - there's no specifications on it, and the info on the fusebox cover is korean.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

the black boxes are relays. doubtful a fuse would be causing this. fuses are either all or nothing. dont feel like reading back through the thread, but have you tried jump starting?

if you have with no success, its either a bad battery, or a unfused(highly unlikely, almost everything is fused) short somewhere draining the battery.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:26 PM

'Nother Update

Okay, the battery was in fact drained. I took it to AutoZone and it was outputting like 4V. They recharged it and the battery is good to go. I put the battery back in the car, and when I put the connectors back on the posts, the alarm should have gone off but it didn't.

Here's my alarm:
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...73850&langId=-1
Audiovox APS610

I tried starting the car and when I turn the key all the way, I don't get a thing - not even clicking. The clock and the radio don't come on, and I can't turn on the headlights or flashers. The only power I'm getting that's noticable is the cluster lights - The one for the door ajar and the trunk come on but that's it. And the dome light works.

I need some major help. This cannot go unfixed. At what point should I call HRA? And do I get this if I don't have a warranty? I know I have a warranty but would any of my mods affect the validity of the warranty? I don't know anything about warranties.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:58 PM

It could be your alarm. Do you have a current cut off relay? If you do it may be bad or the alarm just went bad. Disconnect the main wire harness and see if that will help you. It happened to me on my first hyundai that was automatic.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:08 PM

I disconnected the alarm and the problem still exists. Also I noticed that when I went to manually lock my doors, the actuator wasn't locking the passenger side door. I know that my alarm came with keyless entry and the installers put the actuator thingy on the driver's side, which is supposed to lock both doors. But if this is just due to the alarm then this in understandable. I also checked the fuses associated with the alarm and they're fine.

ALL the fuses that I could check, under the hood AND by the driver's pedals, were intact. I changed a couple that blew - the stock Alarm and another that i don't remember.

I've conceded to calling Hyundai Roadside Assistance, but does anyone know if they tow on Saturdays, or let alone, are Service Dept's open on Saturdays? Otherwise I'll just call on Monday.

This really bites, and I hope everything is still under warranty, because the electrical aftermarket stuff that I put in there, worries me - AEs, alarm, Stock Fogs (but hardwired), Washer LEDs (these have long been disconnected), 2nd trunk light (on the pass side). I don't think any of this would void the warranty, but I'm not sure.

If you guys can come up with anything else, I'm open for ideas since I won't be able to get towed til Monday most likely.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:41 PM

Okay well big props to HRA! They saved the day.

Hyundai Roadside Assistance is an awesome luxury that I'm glad to have, just for owning a Hyundai. I called them at 7:15 AM and my call was taken within 5 minutes. 5 mintues of telling the representative my information and my problem and she said that she would notify a towing agency and that I would receive an automated phone call to tell me when to expect the tow-truck. Sure enough 5 minutes later (7:30 now), phone call says that the tow truck should be at my house within the hour.

The towing place, I guess, opens around 8 so they gave us a rang for directions to my house, and sure enough the guy was here at 8:30. Then me and my dad rode in our Montero Sport and led the towing guy to the dealership. This is Gartner Hyundai, Aurora, Illinois. Once we got there, the dealer service department was very attentive and cordial. They took care of us graciously and promptly. They said that they would take a look at the car and then give us a call.

We get a call around 11:30 telling us that they found that the battery had a leaky post and the battery needed to be replaced. Also we had a blown fuse as a result of my dad jump starting the car backwards...(yah I 'yelled' at him about it) It coulda been MUCH worse, but thank god! Anyway, we allowed them the go ahead to fix whatever, and then in the process I guess they checked the car further, and found that I had a faulty fuel pressure regulator. And my best bet is that this was the cause of my bad mileage woes... Yah, so that FPR was under warranty, so w00t!

I picked up the car around 12:30, with a courtesy car wash, and the car was as good as new.

End of my problems, and the start of a beautiful summer of modding! lol.gif
Old 05-18-2004, 05:29 AM

<span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#4000ff">NICE</span></span>, always love hearing stuff like that!!!!