Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Is my Tibby dead? ... UPDATE: No it's not! :)

Old 05-10-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shyeah, I wish I could hotwire, except that it borders "illegality".

The wheels are completely straight, because the car is sitting in my garage and it's a straight ride into the garage. The steering is locked in the normal straight position and isn't going anywhere. I tried turning it hard and turning the key at the same time, but nothing.

I guess I'll try the shift-release next.

Would this be related at all to the ECU reset that I mentioned earlier? It doesn't make sense to me that my key ignition would be disabled due to an electrical failure. I could understand the steering b/c of power steering, but still the car is in park so I'm not sure. I'm glad we ruled out the alarm though, because I would have gone and yelled at Circuit City and then politely asked them to fix it smile.gif

I'll keep trying sh!t. ugh...horrible horrible day.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:08 AM

Okay. I don't mean to double post, cuz you know I'm NOT a whore. But I think this deserves it.

I just did the shift-release thing into neutral and was able to loosen the steering wheel. YAY!
I was also able to turn the key. YAY!

I was not able to start the ignition. D'OH!
I'm not even getting a click for the engine to turn over. It's like the car has no power or something. I'm thinking the battery just got really drained somehow. So my new problem is getting power. I guess I will just take the battery and get it recharged. Otherwise it's the alternator, and that's gonna cost me a b!tch and a half! WTF Hyundai!!!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:08 AM

DOUBLE EDIT:

ok man... pop the hood... open the fuse box and check your ECU fuse... most likely its blown... costs about 3 bucks to replace it and you should be able to start your car again
Old 05-10-2004, 11:25 AM

I will have to definitely check the ECU fuse as you said. What would cause it to blow?

Not that it matters specifically, but I'm not at home right now. I didn't mean to lead you guys on or anything, but my car is actually at home, and I'm away at college. I'm just trying to relay all this information back to my dad.

He's had to go to work now, so there's no one really to check on the car right now. When he gets home, I'll have him do a couple checks. Thanks for all the info & help guys. I definitely appreciate it, and I knew you guys would come through.

I'm just happy that we got less problems - the steering wheel and the key turning.

Now I have to worry about starting the car.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:44 PM

might just be a flat battery if you are away at college and the car is at home. It happens to cars that not run periodically.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

you should be able to jump it now then...
Old 05-10-2004, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

you are trying to start the car in park right, it won't if it's in neutral..
Old 05-10-2004, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019)</div><div class='quotemain'>you are trying to start the car in park right, it won't if it's in neutral..</div>And with your foot on the brake.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:39 PM

yeah that shift lock thing is good for when you need to take out the console there, I just push a Pen down there and Bam.

You said you might have left the trunk open, ... Maybe the trunk light was on the whole time, and drained your battery?
Old 05-11-2004, 01:46 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (col96fx)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019)</div><div class='quotemain'>you are trying to start the car in park right, it won't if it's in neutral..</div>And with your foot on the brake.</div>

You should be able to start the car in neutral - because the car is not in gear. Manual cars are started in neutral...

Also - how do I check if any of the black box-shaped fuses are blown. B/c with the normal colored fuses, you can easily look at them and see if it's blown.

The problem still exists, and if I can't get it fixed then I'm going to have one helluva summer...