Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Is my Tibby dead? ... UPDATE: No it's not! :)

Old 05-10-2004, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 Automatic 2.0L DOHC

I went to start my car today, and the I stuck the key in the ignition and it wouldn't even turn. The steering is locked in position and I tried jiggling it around to see if it would make a difference but nothing.

I might have left my trunk open overnight, but I'm not sure why I wouldn't be able to TURN the key. My dad tried jumping the car but that also did nothing.

I'm kinda thinking it's the battery somehow, because a couple weeks back I tried that resetting the ECU thing, by removing one of the posts on the battery for about an hour and then putting it back on. But I'm not sure, because when I went and shut the driver's side door, my alarm did it's little chirp chirp, warning alarm. Then, for some odd reason, my dad noticed that the wires that I have going to my foglights was hanging down a bit on the driver's side, and he touched them, and the alarm went off for a second and then just turned off by itself.

I'm in a real pickle and this is really bad. I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible so you guys can help, but I'm probably leaving stuff out. Just lend me your wisdom, if any of this sounds familiar or you have any idea what to do.

THANKS!

UPDATE
_______
See my post below!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:40 AM

Your ignition is probably locked because of your steering wheel. Did you turn off your car with the wheels all the way to the left or right? Just jiggling the steering wheel won't do anything. What you need to do is turn the steering wheel back the other way while turning the ignition key. This usually does the trick.

Do you have an automatic? If so, make sure it is in park. That can do it sometimes too.

An alarm doesn't affect the mechanical systems of your car. What it would do is that you could turn your key but not have the car turn over (an immobilizer) as a car alarm only affects the electrical/electronic systems.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I agree with Rocky.

When you insert the key, are you saying the key won't turn at all? Or does it turn and just not do anything...

When you go to jump the car, leave the cables on there for a good 30 seconds, let the juice flow to the battery. There may not be a good connection between the terminals and the rings on the battery terminals, so try adjusting the cables and moving them around while trying to jump it - look for some sort of signal that power is going to the car (turn on headlights so they come on when power gets to the battery).

Are you getting any power to the car?

I wouldn't worry about this too much. The most it could be would be the ignition messing up or bad connection on battery, or alternator. Nothing that's MAJOR... like engine completely gone. The tibby isn't dead... it's just sleeping wink.gif
Old 05-10-2004, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Looking at your picture in your sig, I'm assuming you have an Automatic?

Make sure it's in Neutral, and try turning your wheel HARD each way while turning the key.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:05 AM

Yes it's an automatic sorry.

The steering wheel is completely locked - it will not budge at all. And the ignition is locked as well - I can stick the key in there and THAT'S IT! I tried all this while the car was in Park.

Usually, you are able to shift the car into Neutral, just by depressing the brake pedal, but I can't even do that.

So I'm still in a this pickle, and it's really screwed up my day, because I had to be places...
Old 05-10-2004, 10:13 AM

Ahhh... Have you tried the Transmission unlock? There is usually a button somewhere down by the Automatic tranny that will let you unlock the tranny and move the shifter wherever you want. Try that.

If you locked your steeringwheel VERY hard to one side, it can be VERY hard to unlock. I'd say see what way the wheels are turned, and try turning it just a bit more that way while jiggling the keys. Might also want to try some of the powder key lubricant.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

what button are you talking about? is this in the engine or on the shifter? There's a "Shift Lock" thing near my shifter, but it doesn't do anything... it looks like it's been cutout but the cover is still on it.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:41 AM

its next to the shifter man... i think you have to take that cover off with a screwdriver and there is like a button way down inside it.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:42 AM

It's usually near the Automatic Shifter Assy. It's a little button that you push and it allows you to move the Stick wherever you want. I don't know where it is on the Tib but all cars have them.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:54 AM

Default WTB: 2001 Single DIN radio surround

Hey, I may not be much help, but this has happened to my dad's car a couple years ago, we where in a parking lots next to a garage, so they hot wired the car for us until we could bring it in for a day, I'm not sure what they did, I wish I could tell you so you could do it yourslef. I hope you can figure it out.