Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

My Cat Is In The Rear

Old 12-13-2005, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

When Meineke put my 28' glasspack in they put the Catco after it. So its position is in the back portion of the car closer to the muffler.

I did get my muffler changed to a Magnaflow and it sounds a lot better. And with the fact that the car is an automatic, it generally doesn't sound as good as a 5-speed would. Would the cat being all the way in the back like that alter the sound of the muffler any?

What I'm wondering is if I should be worried about that cat being way in the back there hogging me of any horsepower and backdraft? I did extend the 02 sensors both, they seem to be working fine even with the lengthy 18 gauge wires I soldered together.

This is the main reason I cannot get my piping Jet Hot coated because I'm afraid it will have to be cut up again.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Automatic to 5 Speed should have no difference on how the car sounds really... whether the catalytic convertors position is part of your problem is beyond me... but I can tell you I have it towards the back in my GSX and it sounds fine.

Position really shouldn't effect flow any... If anything the exhaust is going to be going faster because the cat isn't restricting it right off the manifold... thats what I think, not sure if it its fact.

As for it functioning properly, as long as its getting hot enough to filter, it should be fine. Your cold start emissions will probably suffer, but not enough to make you fail I don't think.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

it just wont be working as good as it could be until the car gets warmed up. cats do need to reach a certain temp. before they start working at their peak efficiency i believe. shouldnt affect horsepower at all, but maybe emmisions a little bit.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

thanks guys, that helps because the ASE tuffy guys (florida's midas) laughed when they saw it. they were like, "dude, who the hell did your exhaust--you know what since you're from maryland i'm not even gonna ask" LOL. they told me if the cat was in the front i wouldn't have had to extend the sensor 6 feet. haha.

the exhaust coming out of it is straight. the sound isn't bad at all but i was wondering if it would sound better if the cat was in the front of the glasspack.

thanks appreciate it. i'll post up pics just to make sure. the exhaust does get hot, since it's winter now i can see the entire piping, even the muffler letting off hot air.