Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Is My Car Some Sort Of Mad Bastard Sent Back From The Future?

Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

OK, I have a 1998 tib FX.

Now, I have seen a few tibs now but none that quite match mine.

I have a couple of oddities in mine that I cant seem to find anywhere else when looking at other tibs.

1: obviously the rebadged clifford alarm (arrow II) called Hyundai advanced security system.

2: The 'turn off the airbags' switch.. this is located in the center console toward the flip up box.

3:The ECT/PWR switch on the trans auto shifter area.

I thought #3 came as standard, but when in TomOTEC's RD2 yesterday I noticed his acceleration wasnt like mine and looked for his ECT/PWR switch.. he doesnt have one?!?

He also doesnt have the airbag switch #2.

Did this come on alot of cars? Ive seen lower end Tibs than mine (RD1's) and none of them have had either #1 #2 or #3.. So Im guessing they might have been upgrades? what doesnt make sense though is how my car has no moonroof or even leather seats?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:45 AM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

exectly where is the 'turn off the airbags' switch..?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:14 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

pics would help...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:15 AM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

i love my ect, instant power!

but i dont have the other 2
Old 06-23-2006, 08:57 AM

the turn off the airbag switch means that your car was owned by somebody of a VERY short stature at one time. You CAN get that switch installed if you meet certain minimum size requirements. I had a girlfriend who was all of five foot and 96 pounds.. she had an airbag "off" switch so that if she got in an accident, the airbag would not go off and kill her.

the ECT/Power button ONLY came on RD1s.. all the later tibs got owned by cost cutting.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^^ haha.gif

thats like how nissan offers seat belt extenders for extremely fat people
Old 06-23-2006, 10:35 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

OK if you can picture an RD1's center console..

Ashtray..move back.. shifter stick (with the ECT/PWR button) then move back about 3-4 inches and there's a wee little clip out plastic thing.. the switch is housed in the bottom of there.

It looks like a coin storage area, or a cellphone or something..

I think Mad-Machine may have hit it.. basically the first owner of this car didnt drive it much.. AND had gotten herself* into an accident.

When my cousin originally bought this car from Chevy in Cherry Hill there was an odd rim on the front passenger side.. also we noticed the bumper didnt line up correctly around the bottom of the headlight (but the headlight was alligned perfectly with the spirit leveller) and the fender looked like it had been pulled out and repaired (badly lmao).

So I jumped all over the salesman.. now bare in mind now that this was a 98 tib FX with all the trimmings (apart from leather) with 41k on it. "so youre trying to charge us $7200 for a car that's been in an accident? and what about the rim? (there was one stock one front passenger)"

They said they would replace the rim but that didnt look likely, so after alot of haggling and bartering from me my cousin paid $4300 LMAO.

KBB at that time was well over $7k (2002 he got it, presidents day or some weird yank holiday thing).

Well he drove it around odd rim and all for about 10k miles and then one day when at sears replacing the alternator starter and battery* (Ill explain that below) we saw the rims !! and, to top it off they were on clearance... $28 HAHAHAHA so he got the missing rim lmao.gif

My cousin isnt very car literate.. infact that's an understatement.. here's a dude who spent $500 on car sounds only to not strap the sub down, go round a corner 3 days after the install and break the wires out of the amp (no damage caused to amp or sub) and then leave it like that lmao.gif
So he got the tib and the lights started dimming all the time.. I told him it was the alt, he wouldnt have it and went and got a new battery, then a new starter and then finally a new alt. and who benefitted from all this? hehe, me !
I gave him $900 for it with a leaking trans and shot brakes (he cant even change pads) and then spent 3 weeks working to fix it up.

Bargain !

And mad-machine, thanks for the expl of the pwr/ect.

I just could not drive this car if it didnt have that power switch. without pwr switched on the car is lame, Im talking night court in it's fifth season lame cha !
Old 06-23-2006, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rd1tib @ Jun 23 2006, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>but i dont have the other 2</div>

Are U all driving automatic shifter or manual. Cause I've seen quite a lot of tibs overhere in Croatia and none had that ECT/power switch
Old 06-23-2006, 02:49 PM

what exactly does that ect switch change? does anyone know? i have a mtx, so i dont need to worry about it, just kinda wondering
Old 06-23-2006, 02:52 PM

the ECT power switch allows the cars rpms to go higher than normal driving.

when turned on the car will not shift until it gets close to the redline maximizing power.

i have it on mine and it workes well. it actually shifts right before the redline.