Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

My alternator died!

Old 10-23-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FS : 97 Tiburon BC-CA

Ughhhh.... driving down the road tonight and my radio starts turning off and on. Then I notice the dash clock is really dim. About another 10 miles down the road, my airbag light came on, then my car lost all power. I pulled it off to the side of the road and called a tow truck. Now it won't even start, I hear the relay clicking and the dash lights come on, but the engine doesn't turn over. I'm assuming the alternator died and drained the battery as well.

Has anyone else had their alternator die? My car has 56k miles on it, should it die this soon? I had to have my car towed to a Pep Boys since they were the only place open. I doubt Hyundai would cover this under warranty anyway, since I have an amp hooked up (even though it's only 250W and I've never had any dimming)
Old 10-23-2004, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Orange or Amber Haloz????

yea you need a new one. mine died around 62k and i got mine replaced.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon
Default Re: My alternator died!

yup, the alt is dead...

most electrical things have warranty's ending at 12K miles. altenators are very different. from car to car. some last over 100,000 and 10 years. and i've diagonosed them go bad on cars that are 2 years old. they are very complicated pieces of electronics....

you might as well get a high output am
Old 10-23-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Re: My alternator died!

Well to be extra sure, get a good battery, start the car, then remove one of the battery's terminals. If the car shuts down, you got a bad alternator.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default FS: Whistler radar detector

yah, it's a bad alternaotr, I had mine go on me twice. Did you notice that your lights would dim when your bass was really high, if so then you need a cap and/or a better battery. What that is doing it drawing power directly from your alternator and not your battery because your battery isn't powerful enough to power the amp, this kills the alternator pretty quickly. You should be able to pick up a used alternator for about $75 dollars, thats what I did, and then go get your old one rewound with more coils to put out more amps.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Rear strut bar

i had some brushes snap on my alternator and it died with less than 15k miles on my tib.. i guess hyundai makes crap alternators
Old 10-23-2004, 11:03 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: New Rotors Paint on

don't jump into conclusions. my sister's 2k did the same exact thing yesterday. yes, yesterday, coincidently.

try checking the clamps on your battery. take them off and sand them down. tighten them back up and put some protective gel over them to keep them from accumilating residue.

keep trying to clean the clamps. i did and now the car works perfectly fine 8)
Old 11-06-2004, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Green Dragon Pulls through!

Ok.. Instead of openning a New Post, I will write in here.... My Alternators is damage.... I went with a friend an told me that the ball bearing are damage...... they have an extrange sound all the time..... a little loud....

Does anyone knows how to open the alternator????