Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Most Effective Oil Catch Can

Old 08-01-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok heres what i have set up, with the nod of approval from denis, and it works well with boost; and ill keep it in layman's so no one gets confused.

the nipple on the left (PCV) of the valve cover is set up like stock, ran to the manifold to provide vacuum, this closes under boost so theres no worries for us turbo guys.

The nipple on the right is ran to the Catch can and then the other tube from the catch can is ran out of the engine bay aiming at the ground. remember to put a breather filter on the end of it because the engine does suck some air through this from time to time and its better to be safe than sorry.

What doesnt work with boost Alex?

Running the right nipple to the catch can and then running this line to a pressurized side of your charge piping (post turbo)

Why doesnt this work?

because the pressure builds inside the oil collector inside the valve cover and when you let off the throttle (after boost) an oily air vapor gets sucked into the intake and youll get a nice POOF of blue smoke, with a nice little trail of blue smoke for 3-4 seconds after.

Even with the catch can in between the valve cover and the charge pipe the oily vapor makes it to your intake, trust me, i just had this problem a little while ago and i thought my turbo was blown because of it.

I changed my setup to the one i listed above and no more problems.

fing02.gif
Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Even with a boost setup, you still have vacuum, but the system will be less efficient. Basically, with boost, you should just vent the breather to air rather then boost your breather. This will allow you to still remove gasses from the engine without shooting air into your intake manifold.

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Boosted or non-boosted setup, its pointless to "T" your pcv to the breather. <span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">You may as well just hook up a line directly from your intake to your manifold, or vent your manifold side PCV to air.</span>

A T with the pcv and the breather does not provide a path for the PCV to do it's job. You need to maintain negative pressure at the PCV so that the excess gasses from the bottom of the pistons can make their way up to the top of the valves and either get recycled or vented. The PCV and breather lines must remain separate until they get to the valve cover to do their jobs, otherwise you have a vacuum leak in the PCV system.</span>

</span>

Didn't see your post alex.

That oily vapor must be caused by pressure from your turbo. I have none in my setup. I'm not running a can. I've boosted about 90 LBS of nitrous oxide now (9 bottles). I hear that can be pretty rough on the engine, but even still, no oil for a month after cleaning my PCV oil drain.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

DTN, Nitrous boosting and Turbo boost is NOT the same thing. In a lot of your posts you make it sound like it is.

Do you have positive pressure in your plenum? No. You are spraying nitrous in your engine that has created vacuum and sucks the nitrous into the combustion chamber.

So technically you are not boosting anything. Call it what ever you like but if you do some back round research as to where the word "boost" came about when turbo chargers were first used you will see that spraying and boosting is 2 different things smile.gif

I guess you don't really like the word spraying, which technically you are doing instead of boosting, or deep down inside you wish you had a turbo system instead of nitrous. fing02.gif

Back on topic, my setup is as following. (Turbo)
PCV --> small catch can---> Manifold
Breather---->Catch can----->Catch can has a filter to the air.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^I specify Boost nitrous every time I say it. In the english language, boost means to increase. In this case horsepower. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/boost It rolls off the tounge better.

The reason I make it sound the same is beause I'm talking about added wear and tear on the engine which causes rings to give out. But in all actuality, it really is the same. Both add wear and tear by increasing the oxygen and fuel consumption and increase horsepower by burning more fuel. A Turbo compresses the air, nitrous is more potent air. The only difference in the PCV is that when you open your throttle, the vacuum from the manifold becomes less or positive in reference to ambient air. But it still stays negative or equal in reference to the intake.

My post was mainly referring to the guy who said he T'd his breather to the PCV. That pretty much negates the point of having a PCV. It becomes a tube which pulls the more positive pressure from the intake to the more negative pressure of the manifold.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Back on topic, my setup is as following. (Turbo)
PCV --> small catch can---> Manifold
Breather---->Catch can----->Catch can has a filter to the air.</div>

That's exactally what I said dude. I just acknowledged your post and noted you've got that oily mist. I don't have that. I expected after boosting 90 LBS of nitrous, my engine would be showing signs of wearing out.

Now that I think about it alex, if your fuel system is adaptive to the o2 sensors and you have a MAP, you may be able to squeeze just a tad bit more fuel efficiency by routing the breather to the low side of the turbo.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

You need to look who posted the thread above yours because you have a quote from it in your reply and your referring to alex.

Alex didn't post that wink1.gif
Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Lol i was getting a little confused there too, i think he just kinda assumed it was the same people talking to him and since i razz on him alot he probably figured it was me doing it again. good stuff lmao.gif

Easy to confuse i suppose, both have turbocharged tibs and both are moderators.

He is probably going to try and say that he didnt get confuzzled but when he said this

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>That's exactally what I said dude. I just acknowledged your post and noted you've got that oily mist. I don't have that. I expected after boosting 90 LBS of nitrous, my engine would be showing signs of wearing out.</div>

he was talking to you but when he mentioned "your post" and the oily mist he was referring to my post and my oily mist.(which i dont have anymore because im not pressurizing the valve cover)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Now that I think about it alex, if your fuel system is adaptive to the o2 sensors and you have a MAP, you may be able to squeeze just a tad bit more fuel efficiency by routing the breather to the low side of the turbo.</div>

here he could have been talking to me but im actually MAF and MAP based, lol, MAF for the ECU and MAP for the SMT-6. I was going to use the analog map on my SMT-6 to convert to MAP based for the ECU (which is possible and has been done) but then Denis convinced me to just move my MAF sensor to the present location.

But thats besides the point, and this whole topic has gotten kind of off topic, lets bring it back to the Catch can discussion.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Went to Menards yesterday and made my own custom dual catch can setup.

I used 2 air/water separators (for power tools) and some hose. They're not the prettiest, so I hid them between my IM and block.

In just 2 days (about 200 miles) the PCV line has caught probably an ounce of oil. Quite a bit. I suggest everyone do this.

Cost me $40.

I'll try to take some pictures in a couple days and post them up here.

$40 total, and about an hour of time.
No oil spraying oil all over the bay.
They are small, and hidden, so you don't have to see them or worry about mounting anything, just use a zip tie and tighten the hoses down

I'm very happy overall.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Best thing in my opinion is to get a good dual catch can, so you can run the lines back to the IM like they should be. By PERSONAL experience, GET A CATCH CAN THAT HAS A FILTER/MEDIA inside of it. There are some good ones out there.

I'm selling my current catch can to get the new one I found.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:51 PM

here is me setup:

the pcv goes to a greddy oil catch can:

and heres the whole setup. you can see the oil catch can under the strut bat where the breather is sticking out:

Old 08-03-2007, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

^^
What is that breather filter on the left side?
I think that is too long of a distance for the catch can to work properly..

Redz, I couldn't find any dual reservoired catch cans on the internet...
Could you?

The whole point of my setup was to NOT have a breather filter on my catch can, because I don't want oil to spew out in my engine bay.

I also wanted to catch the oil going between the breather and the intake.