Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Most Effective Oil Catch Can

Old 08-01-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

From what I understand, the most effective is to run 2 catch cans...

This is what I was planning on doing:

Buy 2 air/water separators, remove the filters

Install one between the hose that goes between the crank and the intake elbow

Install the other between the hose that goes between the PCV and the IM

Is that all there is to it?

Do I have to make sure both are above or level with the head?

I was going to go with a catch can and a breather, but I don't want to spew oil all over. Also, it makes sense to me to that you need to have something in-line, so that you are getting pull from the other end (like the IM)

I'd like to have one GOOD thread where people can talk about their EFFECTIVE catch can setups, pros/cons/etc. I have read about 10 threads that are nothing but people arguing, nobody has results on what works and what doesn't...
Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned

well, i like my setup, but i def. know what works for me and what doesn't.

FIRST SETUP

pcv: catch can, line to atmos.
valve cover: breather filter.

that setup worked like shit.. breather spewed oil all over inside of bay.

SECOND SETUP
pcv and valve hose to a T, catch can, line to atmos.

that setup also worked like shit, got clogged and starting spewing oil out my turbo seals.

PRESENT SETUP
pcv: to atmos.
valve cover: line, catch can, line to atmos.

i have had no problems with this current setup. i may get another catch can for the pcv, so no oil drips out.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You really should run PCV to the intake manifold and if you vent anything, vent the breather. The engine was designed for vacuum.

Vent the breather, that's the way muscle cars did it before emissions control people made it manditory to run the breather from the intake.

The PCV has NO function at all without a vacuum hooked up. It cannot vent anything without pressure.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Banned

no, venting the breather doesn't work well.. you get oil all over the inside of the bay.. not a good idea.. thats why you should either run a hose to the ground or hook up a catch can to the breather.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM

What did you guys think about my setup? There is no breather, but 2 in-line air/water separators, so its like a dual catch, with vacuum. Do they make dual reservoired catch cans?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:13 PM
DTN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SOCKS @ Aug 1 2007, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>no, venting the breather doesn't work well.. you get oil all over the inside of the bay.. not a good idea.. thats why you should either run a hose to the ground or hook up a catch can to the breather.</div>

I'm just saying venting the PCV is the same as putting a cork in it. There's a spring holding it closed unless it has negative pressure on the manifold side. You should try cleaning your PCV oil drain, the engine's internal catch can. It's not like you're going to be shooting out more oil then that thing can handle. It's probly clogged.

Without vacuum hooked to the PCV, basically you're just running a breather. There is no circulation of blowby and the chances of an internal engine fire are much greater because of all of that vaporized gasoline stagnating inside the oil pan.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:16 PM

DTN, if our cars couldn't spew out more than the OEM catch can handle, why is it clogged in the first place?

Plus, did you look at it? That little drain probably holds like 100mL. The guys with catch cans say that they empty their 700mL ones every 6 weeks or so..

Also, you are right about the PCV. It is a 1 way valve, it doesn't open unless there is pressure.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:22 PM
DTN

Sorry, on topic...

That setup is fine. One on the PCV line and one on the breather line. You want the hoses to point downhill towards the catch can, so that anything caught in the pipes will naturally go towards the intended destination.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Aug 1 2007, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>DTN, if our cars couldn't spew out more than the OEM catch can handle, why is it clogged in the first place?

Plus, did you look at it? That little drain probably holds like 100mL. The guys with catch cans say that they empty their 700mL ones every 6 weeks or so..

Also, you are right about the PCV. It is a 1 way valve, it doesn't open unless there is pressure.</div>

For an explanation of how it clogs see this thread http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=316650

That litle drain dosn't hold anything. it allows oil to drip back into the valve train and find it's way back to the oil pan. It's a recirculating catch can. If you were to take a standard catch can and drain it into the oil pan, it would do the same thing.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM

Great. Wouldn't that actually be the best way to set it up? That way, the pressure is what it should be in both hoses, and you're filtering them both.

Option 1
Or, would it be easier to T those two lines, then to the catch can, and then run the output on the can not to the atmosphere, but to either the IM or the intake? Should the IM and intake be the same pressure? If not, would using the vacuum from the IM and having it T'ed to the hose on the intake cause any issues (or vice versa)?

Option 2
If option 1 is not OK because it is best to keep them separate, does anyone know of any dual reservoir catch cans? The air/water separator thing is kinda ugly IMO. A little polished catch can would look nice..

And why did I read somewhere on here that in order to work it would have to be higher or the same level as the block, I don't remember exactly what the post said, but it said that if the hose goes downwards, it will be creating a mess?
I didn't really understand that....I mean, from a physics standpoint (bernoulli's principle) the pressure in the PCV, and IM will be maintained throughought the hose, and 6 inches of elevation shouldn't make a difference..
Can anyone elaborate on that?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Why don't you just remove the pcv valve and have it go to a can with an air filter?