Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Magnaflow Owners...in Here!

Old 10-31-2005 | 08:15 AM

HKC,
I hope this isn't the case with your car, but I installed that exact muffler on my cousin's CB7 Accord - 2.5" mandrel from the cat-back and it was LOOOOUD! I think he got pulled over about once a week for a month - got probably 3-4 tickets for noise pollution over the summer before he had me take it off and weld the stock muffler back on.

IMO, it sounded nice, not too buzzy except at WOT, but it WAS really loud.

Again, I hope it's not the case with your Tib, just passing on what I've experienced.
It is a nice, high quality muffler with very cool looks - We were happy with the overall quality & sound, he just wasn't happy with all the legal attention he received.

My 2ยข,

-Fran
Old 10-31-2005 | 11:11 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

OK, so guess what! I went to the shop today and got everything fixed up. They put the Magnaflow muffler on really well. and they even took out all that twisty apex'i piping and it's just straight and smoothe. now my car feels like i'm carrying one passenger with two passengers. so it definitely pulls a lot better.

Surprised? yeah... why? because it did not sound different from the Apex'i replica i had on before!! I don't know WTF it sounded the same. the only difference is it's a notch deeper. i don't know why but it sounds almost exactly like the muffler i have lying around. the only difference is the magnaflow is a lots of pounds heavier than the one i had before. it looks better, but performance wise the one i had before was the better pick for the weight.

definitely more resonance. it is also a hair louder than the other exhaust at lower RPM's but at high RPM's it dies down only to the sound of the engine. i haven't tested this muffler out yet on the highway or above 50mph. baelz, thanks for the warning. i wonder why it was that loud on an accord. maybe because it was stick shift??? my car is an automatic... i really wonder why it was so loud though. maybe because he didn't have a glasspack. i have a glasspack which totally eliminated harassing noise. my neighbors say they like the sound of my car pulling up at night and they don't mind at all. i lovey my cool neighbors

i will have pics up tomorrow. they definitely got me back in spirit today. halloween = good time to scare some kiddies with engine revving and a new shiney muffler.... sike i'm not that mean. smile.gif
Old 10-31-2005 | 11:18 PM

Question is, do you like the sound or not....are you happy with your purchase......cuz i'm thinking of just going with the motoria, and if i have to i'll get a high flow cat and a glasspack.....

After hearing this i'm willing to take my chances with the motoria.....with hotshot headers from Blacktibs group buy that is

(What kind of system are you running HyundaiKitCoupe (high flow cat, glasspack, etc????)
Old 11-01-2005 | 12:21 PM

The setup i have right now was expen$ive man. and i drove it today mildly pushing it to hear what it offers. yes, even that smallest change in sound did the job. because of the quality, the weight (it's fairly heavy compared to a can), and the materials, it now sounds exactly like the motoria. the reason i chose to get the magnaflow was because i've always loved the dual chrome tip look. in my opinion it's a little more fancy. it's the classic thing to do.

i suggest, if you want the large single-tip exhaust look, the lightweight advantage of it, and save yourself a lot of trouble and money, then the motoria is all go. my sister has it on her car. i heard it on OP's tiburon in person. it's the BEST exhaust system for us in terms of having all advantages with a great sound.

the magnaflow is for people who have the piping already there and an exhaust shop to weld everything on. if you buy the muffler, you're going to have to get 2.25'-2.5' piping newly welded on which will cost you lots of money, $200+ on top of the price of the muffler and hangers. it's expensive, it's be heavier, and it will sound exactly the same as the motoria. the only difference is it's dual/single chrome tipped and depending on people's taste might be a little more attractive. if you ask me, the motoria will save you hundreds of unecessary dollars down the storm drain. you will gain virtually nothing from the magnaflow because you will impress anyone with both mufflers. motoria costs you about $275, plus shipping, plus labor to put it on... maybe $330 total with labor. The magnaflow will cost you double that.

also take note, me and OP, and now my sister all share the same exact glasspack. so the sound that is coming out of the magna is also incorporated with the encased fiberglass before the muffler. it changes the sound a little. perhaps this is the reason it sounds very similar to the way it was before, but now it sounds deeper. very pleasing though. i will post sound clips.
Old 11-01-2005 | 03:46 PM

I'm glad to hear it HKC!

I've got a couple questions though, how big is your glasspack? 28"? I'd suggest going even bigger (30-35") for the glasspack and depending on how big your cat is and how it'll fit, you should go with the biggest cat compatible.
Old 11-01-2005 | 04:49 PM

finally it sounds like it has two balls instead of one! HAHA! thanks guys. i will post up sound clips tomorrow.

gt headers to downpipe w/ flexpipe, connected right to my 31' glasspack which the tips were cut off so that it could fit before the flange and cat. then i have a 14' catco cat behind it, then a little segment of straight pipe under the axle, then the magnaflow. i'll have to take pics of it on the lift next time it goes up.

it would definitely sound really nice if it were a 5-speed i know that for sure. the glasspack doesn't change the sound all that much but it adds a nice resonance to the ear and decreases the annoying volume and totally got rid of the buzz most mild steel produces.

i also noticed when i was testing it today, it's faster now like it should be. back then with the mingled pipes it would kind of choke in between gears and produce a spitting sound in between the early gears. it was really stupid. now when i told the guys to saw that mish mash out and replace it with a straight pipe i notice the speed really increasing on my spedometer hence the feeling of the car properly changing gears. it's hard to explain really but definitely pretty cool.

yeah, that's my crappy digicam. but you can see what's there!
Old 11-01-2005 | 07:53 PM

What length tips do you have?

I'm probably gonna go with flyryde's group buy (hotshot headers), and the motoria from IMPORT SHARK, and see how that sounds. If i have to, i will get a glasspack, etc.
Old 11-01-2005 | 08:06 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

that's fvckin HOTT! HKC, very classy yet sporty. fing02.gif
Old 11-01-2005 | 08:15 PM

F**k it, i'm still gonna go with the magnaflow, looks so nice. At first i was gonna go motoria, then custom, with magnaflow, then motoria, now Magnaflow. Maybe once i hear the sound clips i'll decide.

Also, what size inlet do you have? 2.25"?
Old 11-01-2005 | 08:33 PM

i've got the magnaflow also... straight tip design, single. it sounds hot... true ricer style without the buzzing crap of the straight through ones