Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Magnaflow Catalytic Converter Rattle

Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok well my exhaust is making a rattle I found the noise coming from the Catalytic Converter. Now the cat is only 7 months old and it has gone bad already? I dont know how I dont have a cel and I have brand new 02 sensors. I called Magnaflow and they told me its because my car is running too rich. I told them my car is stock with only headers back exhaust, I have no cell and runs fine. So now I basically have to buy a new cat because they wont warranty it, which I call BS. Has anyone had this problem with Magnaflow cats and what cat Should i get next? thank you
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

It has a 1 year warranty. Tell them to suck it and make good on that or your going to post your experience with their products and service on over 10 forums with thousands of users.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0t

Same thing happened to mine after about a year. Blew the honey comb right out the tail pipe but little bits left in cat rattled. Was over my 1 year so I sucked it up and bought another but got the S.S. version for a few bucks more. 4 years strong as of now.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I have tried with them all week they still said They will not warrenty it, so thats why im going to say never buy a Magnaflow Catalytic Converter they SUCK and their customer service SUCKS even more. Well now I am going to buy a new cat. What cat should I buy thats doesnt hurt my wallet too much. My friend told me to run a test pipe but iuno if i should do that?

cheers
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Tiburon/RD1

hmm great
Mine did the same thing after 4000km of driving....

Guess we we're too cheap
Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Yeah haha rippedhand.gif

Well I thought Magnaflow would be a good product but guess not. Anyway what is a good catalytic converter. Anyone have recommendations, I want one to last longer than 7 months lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I ran a stock catalytic converter for 10 years, and they replaced it free under warranty when the manifold cracked . . . I'm guessing that's not what you're after . . . laugh.gif
Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 PM

lol Yeah I was looking for aftermarket. I rather not run the stock cat. I was thinking running a test pipe, but I dont want to sound like a honda buzzing around hahaha
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM

The magnaflow egay cats ARE NOT designed for Forced Induction vehicles and they will not warranty it. I blew through 2 of those junks in 2 months. By far the best cat you can buy is the Random Technology Stainless Race cat. A little pricey but its the last cat you'll buy.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai tiburon

I have had both the carsound,magnaflow and then purchased the expensive so called "best" random technologies cat and each one did the same as above and the random technology one actually blew the guts out the back like someone else posted. I got all the same replies saying the car is running to rich. I think this is just a problem with putting a header on the rd tib myself for lack of a better explanation. I currently still have the gutted random technologies and it does have that buzz at certain rpms and i have a cel for the rear o2. Good luck just my .02