Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Low Temp Thermostat

Old 05-03-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...3&hl=thermostat
Old 05-03-2005, 09:01 PM

In reality, our cars are designed to run at a certain tempeture. Too low will ruin power and economy as the oil will be thicker and the fuel will not atomomise correctly in the combustion chamber. The temps also burn off the contaiminants in the oil, prolonging the life of both it and your engine. Switching to a lower thermostat defeats these.

Now a lower fan termoswitch is not a bad idea.. a manual override switch an even better one.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

what's the best way to do manual override switch?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:26 AM

Install a switch that powers a relay and wire the fan to the relay, and then the battery. That way, your switch is only drawing 12V and next to no amperage, just enough to power the relay. All the amperage goes straight from the battery to the relay. Just make sure your 12V Positive is an ignition switched positive, otherwise, you could accidently walk away and leave your fans running, and come back to a dead battery.

With the turbocharger and the higher flowing Flex-a-lite fans, I dd the following.
The drivers side fan was on anytime the igntion switch was turned on. So it ran constantly (when the engine was running). The passenger side fan wasn then wired to the stock Fan wiring for the drivers side, so the ECU could still kick it on when needed.

Before I did this, the fans would turn on about every 5 minutes, and run for about 60 seconds, then shut off. It was VERY annoying having them switch on/off then on/off. By running one all the time, and the second when needed, it cut down on the swiching. The second fan would only come on if I ran the car hard, then stopped/parked, or if I was in stop and go traffic for an extended period of time.

Considering an aftermarket thermostat is $50+, and the Flex-a-Lite fans are $200, the fans are a much better investment. You KNOW they will work to keep your engine cool.

[edit] You don't have to worry about overcooling. I drove from LA to Park City Utah, in Feburary. It was plenty cold there and the car never had a problem with not getting up to tempature.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:39 AM

Flex-a-lite fans are the way to go. Generally they move more air and take less amperage than stock. As far as your one fan all the time, Random. I think it is a bit excessive, but if it works, that is great. Personally, that is the fan I would have wired to a switch so I could kill it when cruising down the highway or something.

Override switches are the norm when it comes to Fiats and Lancias. They were some of the first cars to come with electric fans (back in 1968) and the thermoswitches are not exactly the best in the world. Another thing we do is an indicator light to let you know when the fan is running.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:49 AM

I have the Flex-A-Lite fans, the thermostat, and a switch. I have both fans wired into the engine temp side. This will make both fans turn on when the engine gets to temp as well as when the ac is turned on. The Flex-A-Lite fans are very nice but to do them correctly you have to make yourself some brackets.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:09 AM

That is a good point. FAL does not make a kit for our cars, you need to be a little handy when buying and mounting them to our radiators.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UltraTibby @ May 4 2005, 07:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the Flex-A-Lite fans, the thermostat, and a switch. I have both fans wired into the engine temp side. This will make both fans turn on when the engine gets to temp as well as when the ac is turned on. The Flex-A-Lite fans are very nice but to do them correctly you have to make yourself some brackets.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Well, what FAL's did you get? The 220's are supposed to mount with no problems what so ever.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:22 AM

I do have the 220s. If you look at the pic tho he is using the installation parts that came with them. It is a rod that goes through the fins in your radiator to hold the fan in place. I really didnt like the fact that it could pull through the radiator.

-Edit-

That doesnt look like a RD either

-Edit-Edit-

I will try to take some pics tonight or tomorrow of mine as long as it is still light out.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:05 AM

Look at all the room! I agree with Ultra, I have never been a fan of the push them through the radiator mounts.