Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Leaky Fuel Filter...

Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

UPDATE:

Got the wrenches from NYC, but couldn't find a jack stand at the 4 places I went to... so I decided to go with the 'ol tire under the car trick.

Got back to ORD and spent 45 minutes trying to tighten the but to the filter. It didn't budge. Ended up rounding the nut a lil bit before I gave up. (Yes, I did use penetrating oil) So, I start the car to take a look at the leak is now to see if I have to get a tow or drive it to a mechanic. Lo, n behold, its leaking from the top! Now I swear when I checked it, the top was dry and the bottom was wet... but I checked it after going inside to pay for gas at the station (one of those pay before you pump places). So I guess the hot engine bay caused it dry from the top, and where more gas gathered on the bottom it stayed wet.

So, thanks to the people on here, I knew it was the o-ring that was causing me grief. So I took the top line off, and sure enough, a piece of the o-ring had somehow been slowly shaved off.

I took a moment to appreciate the apparent joke that was being played on me. Here before me was a complex vehicle, and what was causing it to cease to function was this lil rubber thing smaller than my pinky... and the problem being that a piece of rubber off said rubber thing smaller than my pinky's finger nail was what was wrong.

So there I was in the airport parking lot, surrounded by other cars. And I thought "gee, where is the closest place I could get a specialized lil o-ring like this?"

Alright... no, I didn't loot another car of it's o-ring. After about an hour of questing around, I got one from a Budget car rental mechanic shop. Popped it back on the car, and problem solved!

So that closes that chapter on the car... opening the next chapter, which is the return of the broken e-brake cable problem. (Turns out that the brake was at least partially seized up..)