Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Leaking Coolant Mang! Need Help Quick!

Old 05-21-2006, 12:35 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I was driving along in wisconsin tonight and i looked down at my gauges..

high rpm - check , high speed - check, full fuel - check , full water temperature......

wait a minute...

So i pulled over, let the car cool down, refilled with water, and now i'm in wisconsin at a hotel overnight. The water drip is comming from the passenger side of the vehical. The coolant is dripping from somewhere other then the radiator. the resivoir was bone dry.

After i refilled it, i drove 60 miles, stopped, looked under vehical and a bunch of coolant was pouring out from the passenger side splash sheild at a rate of about 300 drops per minute. But none had been used from the resivoir. The resivoir was still pure water and full from when i refilled it.

The nearest hyundai shop is 100 miles away. This isn't really making sence to me. It's like it's only driping when i'm idling or something or it would have all come out on the road. Please don't say my it's water pump. Give me some hope here.

give me some quick checks i can do tomorrow, or quick replacements from autozone. when it's light out, I have to hit the road. I really want this to be a thermostat or something. I don't know what to expect when i look
Old 05-21-2006, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

One of two things, bud. Your heater lines.

-OR-

Ok, I won't say it's your water pump. It's the part on your car that pumps the coolant thru the system. wink1.gif

Sorry bud, it sounds like it's the weep hole on the pump leaking.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:57 AM

I concur on the water pump. That is your warning to replace it before it decides to go compleatly. Means the seal has gone and the coolant is now eating at the bearing. Get it replaced ASAP!
Old 05-21-2006, 06:49 PM
DTN

Hopefully this Sioux Falls, South Dakota Hyundai dealer has all parts on hand. I hope this is standard stockage. *fingers crossed*

I'm at 58,000 miles. Is this a warranty item? Would it be cheaper/quicker overall for me to do the timing belt now then wait until I get to south carolina?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well yeah the water pump would be warranty if your at that mileage

hehe just buy the timing belt and have them replace it so you wouldnt have to do all the labor lmao.gif
Old 05-21-2006, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

South Carolina?? That's a bit far from where you are ain't it?

LOL

58K? Might as well get the belt replaced too. It's gotta be removed to take the pump out.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yeah see that happened to me when driving to florida. that hole in the waterpump is leaking. same exact sh*t happened to me when i looked in my coolant tank it was all gone all the time. i had to fill it up with coolant every other day.

do not drive on it. i drove to florida and my engine overheated. couldn't drive the car at all, had to get it towed. $1500 in repair costs. they also had to replace my radiator because it got clogged to hell. after the waterpump and belts were replaced everything raan fine.

i don't know of anything else that could be the problem. my car would drip like that too. check your engine temp when you're driving. check your lines as well.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Wait.....you were in WISCONSIN tonight? WTF....stop by. LOL.

Since you're not the original owner the warranty is voided at 60k....LOL, better find an H dealer within the next ~200 miles mang. But since you're still under warranty just don't worry about it. Have them replace the water pump, timing belt, and pulleys and just do it all at once.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:50 PM
DTN

^^no, i wish i could. i'm in south dakota, i'm going to south carolina. Eau Claire is about 600 miles north of my planned route.

So I was stuck about 500 miles from a hyundai dealer in the middle of nowhere. I removed my thermostat and let the cold water circulate through without all that pressure building up. It seems to work better like that. Less drippage and only 2 incidents where it started to overheat.

I can assure EVERYONE the coolant gauge DOES work well. It fluctuates constantly. I turn on my heater and it goes down slowly. There is more then 3 settings as we've all heard before. it works and well.

HKC: that's the problem exactally. I can SEE it dripping right between the belts gaps.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:22 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Coupe 1997

if you leave the water tank cap on loosley it will prevent the pressure from building up in your system and less will leak. Sounds very much like the pump, if left unchecked the pump will die in the ass and all of your coolent will drain out. At least it wont drip anymore then !