Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Kill Switch

Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look in the sticky section under engine and transmission (I believe) There's a thread that has ecu wiring diagrams. One easy way to do it (that thieves won't be able to figure out) is to cut the yellow wire at pin 25, and route each end to a maintaining pushbutton switch. That's the ignition coil control wire. The car can crank and crank all day long, but it won't go anywhere without spark. Then, if you want, you could remove the plug from behind the cigar lighter so it doesn't have power, and drill a hole inside it to mount the button. Now just hollow out the lighter itself (remove the heating coil) so it doesn't interfere with the button. So now you can just remove the lighter to reveal your killswitch.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

To answer your question of why, Its better to have a car thats broken into then a car thats not there.

That location in the ashtray sounds nice but I use my lighter plug to charge my cell phone.

I dont know if I'm to keen to spice wires into my ECU harness. I guess cutting spark is the easiest way, because even if they tried to start it going down hill letting the clutch out no spark.

Any other locations? Thanks for the good info.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 PM

Well, another option is to go directly to the ignition switch, but that's the first place retarded crooks go. Even the dumbest ones know to pull the wires at the column to find "security" splices. Really though, cutting a single wire at the ecu is no big deal at all. They're just wires, like the rest of the car has. Plus, IIRC, the ecu is pretty much in a well hidden spot to where it'd take quite a bit of rooting to get to, and that's even if they can find it.

Another random option is to cut the switched power to the injectors. The ecu controls the grounds to the injectors, so cutting the power supply would disable the car as well, without losing fuel pressure (i.e. cutting the fuel pump). I know of some cars that will actually still run with the fuel pump off, so long as there's enough gas in the tank!

If you look at image 1 in the ecu diagram sticky, you'll see a fuse marked Fusible link B (20A Blue). Says its in the engine compartment driver's side fuse/relay box. That's the power source for the injectors, along with some other crap. This way, you'll get spark, but no fuel delivered (and no loss of fuel pressure). Trace the white/red wire and do the same cut, and splice in a button there to the inside of the car somewhere. Under the dash, under the seat, etc. Just be creative because you don't want everyone on the net knowing where your master switch for your car is now do you? fing02.gif
Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Cut the fuel power. THat way you wont get any flooding if someone tries to crank. And probably expect to have a totaled car after that also because if someone wants to steal it and cant Im sure they will be pissed.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Banned

yeah, unless your doing this for a track thing, i wouldn't bother with it..

people that are messed up enough try to steal your car, then can't steal it, will probably do more damage to it than the car is worth anyway...

if i were to attempt to put myself into the eye of a criminal, and i tried to jump in a car to steal it, and the thing had some type of failsafe, they wouldn't be able to drive their car once they got to it.

in less than minutes your car could be totalled by a thief. (broken windows, slashed tires, dented body panels, vandalized interior, etc.

best bet is to have a sensitive, high end alarm if you want to ward off thiefs.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I have a small keypad I bought a while ago from a friend that owned a car audio shop.
It splices into the ignition and unless you enter the correct code the car won't start its not a bad idea and its small enough to hide in the ashtray, but I do like the hidden switch idea as well. I didn't put it in yet because I want to make sure it won't cause problems with remote start.

I thought maybe you could use that idea as well if you could find something like the keypad.
I wouldn't say that any of this is a replacement for a good alarm though.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:33 AM

you can mount them wherever you. but you need about 2 inch's of room behind to fit a battery kill.

i just installed one on my roommates probe last week actually. it was extremely easy. hardest part was drilling the hole.