Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Just Ordered Kfx Equal-length Header

Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o, i would also get 2.25" exhaust, not 2.5" unless you plan on doing a TON of work to the car to utilize having a 2.5" exhaust system.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SOCKS @ Oct 27 2008, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>search for redzmans exhaust.. its the best tiburon exhaust i have heard yet... N/A that is... it has a good tone.. no buzzing or resonating sound, and not very loud unless under full rev or WOT.</div>

I have to agree here, and not just cause it's my car. I get compliments from folks on it ALL the time. My dad gave me the best one.

"Almost sounds like a V8".

I tend to agree.

I took the advice of members here, and pieced together my unit, and it's fantastic. 2.5 should be good, I'd recommend it to anyone doing more work on their cars later, but news flash, the Maintec GT headers are only 2.25.

The cat is out of the bag. LOL

The muffler is beautiful, and looks stock, and you just need to find a good tip for it.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:22 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Word Socks. I read 2.25" before. I edited my post. a 2.5" pipe would be much louder then my current exhaust. That would be unacceptable to me. My 2.25" with glasspack and flowmaster Delta 40 mufler is very loud. It has a good tone, but it reverbed inside the car while I drive. I'd really look at a 2.25" pipe with that configuration. Without an impedance type muffler 2.25"

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (magnaflow)</div><div class='quotemain'><span style="font-family:Verdana Arial Helvetica sans-serif"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#000000">To reduce additional backpressure, the OEM exhaust tubing can be replaced with mandrel-bent tubing of the same size or one size up from the OEM. As a general rule, you can enlarge the pipe diameter of your OEM exhaust system by 1/4 to 1/2-inch to increase your horsepower. However, any additional increase in pipe diameter is likely to decrease your performance; specifically, low end torque.</span></span></span></div>

Our cars come with about 1.75" pipe. We lay down 140hp stock. Maybe (possibly) up to 160 with a tuned exhaust and intake, this puts us into the 2"-2.25" catagory. I'm running a 75 shot of nitrous oxide which will bring me up to between 215 - 235hp at the crank. This fits into the 2.25-2.5" catagory.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^ We get it, YOU have a LOUD exhaust. That doesn't mean they all have to be. Your muffler is just not that good at muffling sound, accept that.
I have a 2.5" exhaust, and it's very quiet. AFAIK redz' exhaust is 2.5 too and its pretty quiet.

And stock pipe size is 2".
Old 10-27-2008, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies guys! fing02.gif

I'd like to respond to all your input individually but I really need to go to sleep.

All I can say is it's a big help to me, especially those that posted their exhaust setups.

Also I found REDZMAN's exhaust thread after searching for 1/2 an hour, you wouldn't believe how many threads containing the words, REDZMAN, exhaust, and custom their are tongue.gif

I LOOOOOVE how it sounds, unfortunalty it's a little lounder than I'd like sad.gif

Could I possible make it quieter but keep the same tone by adding another resonator to the setup?

Maybe something like this --- KFX headers
--- Flex pipe
--- Magnaflow High-Flow Cat
--- Resonator #1
--- Resonator #2
--- Dynamax Super Turbo Muffler

--- 2.5" mandrel bent tubing all the way around

Also, If I understand correctly, DTN and SOCKS were saying you can loose power if you go with to large a diameter?

Is this possibly because of heat or back-pressure issues?

I'm planning on doing some extensive mods in the future, so maybe I should get large diameter now so I don't have to worry about it later.

Ok, now I'm just rambling, I'm very tired.

Thanks again for all the help guys!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:49 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ The exhaust itself is not obnoxiously loud. It sounds good and I've received compliments. It just resonates deeply throuout the car.

Also, the stock exhaust size is slightly larger then 1.75". it's proprietary, meteric, and it's something like 1.8" or something.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Winston: I don't think there is any way to tell how loud an exhaust really is from a video.. it depends a lot by how the camera is positioned and how it records sound, so don't go by that.

Yes, with an exhaust that is too big you can lose some low-end torque, but I doubt that would be a big deal with a 2.5". If you think there is a tiny chance of going forced induction with mid-high psi (like more than say 220whp) in the future, I'd get the 2.5". If not, get the 2.25".
Old 10-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

redz exhaust is a lot quieter and nicer sounding than his videos.. after it was 'broken in' it sounds a LOT better now.. it does get loud when he rails the rev limiter in his garage though. lmao.gif lmao.gif

if you don't plan on forced induction, like radu said, go with a 2.25" system. itll be quieter and you will retain your low end..

i have a 3" catback on my srt and i noticed higher top end, but lost a bit of the low end. stock is 2.5" on my car.

and again, on the diamter, even if you plan on ALOT of mods, if you are staying N/A and not going nitrous, 2.25" will be plenty, 2.5" will be 'bragging rights' or w/e.

2.25" exhaust is good for like 180-200whp or so before you 'out-flow' it..

i don't think there is an N/A tib in existance that pushes that much power.. shit, tdonnell was at like 160whp with about 1500$ into his headwork alone. on top of that he had air ram, SAFC, full exhaust, AEM, etc.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

winston,

if you plan on going with a 2.5" exhaust, I got these for sale. Bullfrog got some off of me a a few months back, was very pleased.

I have the kfx headers also and i'm running a 2.5" apexi catback. true, it cost me a ton,but it ridiculously quiet which in turn made up for the price to me in the end. I would just go with 2.5"I.D. since you are doing a exhaust right now. that way, if you dont have the money now for power upgrades but will have later, you dont have to budget in a bigger exhaust.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DTN @ Oct 27 2008, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Don't get a high flow, just get a standard 2.25" pipe cat. My high flow is not efficient enough because our engines do not flow that much into a 2.25" pipe and it dosn't get hot enough unless I get on the highway for an extended period of time. It caused a CEL until I added a spark non-fouler

Btw, your exhaust is larger size size and using the same components/setup as mine with the exception of the muffler. You may want to look into some sound deadening. Mine sounds good after an afternoon with dynamat.</div>

Nothing wrong with a high-flow if you get the one I posted. Most people here seem to be running the one designed for 6500Lbs. GVWR. The one I posted is for a 4500Lbs. GVWR.

Also, back pressure has nothing to do with power on a modern fuel injected car. Back when cars ran carbs and had low velocity intakes, you needed strong exhaust pulses to help scavenge out the exhaust and suck in a fresh charge. SCC tested the whole back pressure thing way back. The ran a car with a 2.25" exhaust, a 3" exhaust and an open header. Open header made the most power, followed by the 3" and then the 2.25". The car had a couple of bolt-ons, that's it.

The setup posted is what I actually ran and I never sounded like a Civic.