Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Just Failed My Second Emissions (smog Test Only) That I Need For My Tags

Old 11-12-2008, 12:50 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep getting all scores fine, but way high emissions out the tail pipe? What should I worry about first, O2 sensors (no CELs by the way) or just go straight for the Cat? Anybody got a good used cat? I want a RD2 stock muffler too! Gay that I'm failing though, waste of damn money. Any other ideas?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:51 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It depends. Do you have a CEL? Have you widened, punctured, modified the catalytic converter, or performed a replacement of any type? Have you modified the exhaust stream or the o2 sensors mounting?

High flow cats are not designed for our 1 litre per RPM flow rate. You have to keep the engine flowing more then 3,000RPM to really activate them fully.

If you already have a high flow cat, The easiest, cheapest soloution is to add cats. Locate a place between the last collector where the exhaust becomes 1 tube and in front of the rear seats area of the car which has enough room to install the new catalytic converter and put in 1 or 2 cheap high flow ones from e-bay.

If you do not have a catalytic converter or you think your catalytic converter is failing, then you should look at purchasing a new, non-high flow catalytic converter. Magnaflow has one that works for us. Do a search for my I need a catalytic converter thread.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

empty the tank i mean empty like running on fuems empty

then fill up with some super high octane fuel 5 gallons and put in 2 bottle b12 chemtool for the fuel system.

find a place where you can open her up and keep cruseing at a highway speeds.

with the engine at operition temps reset the ecu. then wait for 3 mins with your foot on the gas the key on and the neg battey wire disconected.

then after 3 mins. reconnect the battery and drive it like you stole it. you should be able to get all the crap out of the cat,pistons and valves. by doing this..
Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Damn, that sounded super cool, but I think at this point I'm just gonna need another stock cat. I think I may have killed this one when driving around with my header on. Plus the thing was 11 years old, lol. No high flow cat, and no CELs. I have a stock exhaust setup, and a true 2.5 straight through system for performance. The cool exhaust doesn't need to be on unless there's some serious power adders, which currently, I have it all stocked out for emissions.