Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

It's Alive!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well it's running on jack stands at least. We'll finish putting it back together tomorrow. But no smoke and all it took was one head gasket, one turbo center section, and one fire.

I also found one more reason for the fire besides a leaky turbo feed line, the camshaft position sensor was leaking terribly. Apparently I forgot to put the o-ring back in.

Let this be a lesson to you, never get in a hurry working on a car, especially after a long project.

btw, I'll get some pics and videos tomorrow, it's 2:30 am right now and I'm worn out.

Edited:
Attachment 668
notice the toasty hood. I've got a replacement but I'm waiting to put it on till everything is done.
Attachment 669
Old 08-29-2009, 07:37 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

sweat, im glad i was able to lend a helping hand getting you back up...

get pics and vids...hurry up!!! you tease...lol
Old 08-29-2009, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Awesome man! I agree,once you are still working past midnight on a car, mistakes are bound to happen,my friend was up to 4 am the other night,(beacuse he installed a bearing in the tranny upside down )cause he was tired!.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:57 AM

Updated with a couple quick camera photo's. I ran into more issues, apparently the coil pack is shot, no spark on cylinder #4, it was idling at about 1.5k. I've ordered a coil pack, I'll snap a few more with our good camera when I install it and then and upload those.

It's also started smoking like crazy. It doesn't smoke much when it first starts up, normal amount for a car starting up but once it's warm the smoke starts billowing out. I did some googling about it and people were saying it can take 30 minutes of driving or longer to burn out all the coolant and oil out of the exhaust. So once I get the coil pack in I'm going to go for a drive!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Good job man! Your work has payed off.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM

^^ your project makes me wish I'd taken a step back, maybe pulled the motor, cleaned things up a bit more, etc.

I'll be glad to have the tib back on the road again.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 AM

looks like the tib isn't going to give up the fight that easily. The smoke hasn't gone away and it's burning oil fast. about 1/2 a quart in about 30 minutes of driving. I had the tib sitting in the driveway for a bit and it leaked a ton all over the ground. It's coming from between the turbo and the wastegate as well as around the manifold to head area. I'm gonna do a leakdown test this weekend and decide if it's new engine time.

oh and I think I have a dead injector, gonna have to do a little more testing before I order a new one though.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

New ENGINE? If you're leaking oil around the exhaust manifold, you need maybe just new valve seals which is a job for a weekend . . . and this is a 3 day weekend.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM

oh man, I've done it and it was a pain in the butt and I did it with the head still on.

yeah, my plan is to just swap in a motor and then rebuild the old one for more power over time if it's the rings. I'll be highly surprised if its a issue with anything else. The only other thought that I have is possibly an issue with the head gasket install but the oil burning problem has stayed the same after a head gasket, valve stem seals, turbo, etc. I might just use the block and use my ported head and decompression head gasket.