Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Interesting problem with a 2001 tiburon

Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Yes. That's why I said to check the relay socket. The one with power all the time is from the battery, through a fuse. The one that's hot with the ignition on is the signal wire from the ECU that turns on the relay.

Should be a simple multimeter test, and will answer a lot of questions.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 2.0L

sorry about the lack of update guys. I had midterms this week.

So back to what I've done so far.

I tested redman's diy fuel pump test. Connected 12v to the port in the engine compartment and the fuel pump didnt get any power.

I took the dash apart but even with the dash apart its a pain to get to the relay. Let alone get a meter in there. Any tips on how to get a reading from there?

Just to confirm the circled relay in the pic below is the fuel pump relay, right? (the picture was taken under the steering wheel.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0378.jpg (1.81 MB, 16 views)
Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Hyundaitechinfo has photographs of stuff like this, along with the wiring diagrams, free. Use Internet Explorer and get yourself a login, and find the "component location" section
Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stocker
Hyundaitechinfo has photographs of stuff like this, along with the wiring diagrams, free. Use Internet Explorer and get yourself a login, and find the "component location" section

I checked hmaservice. For some reason their pictures are quite small and unclear on my windows 7 pc. I've been using this site as well (it looks to be a mirror of hma service) http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/coupe/service/mechanical.htm and http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/coupe/service/electrical.htm

I've also used this but its not particularly specific - http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/coupe/ser...d=12316#_12316
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Another update -

did a couple of other things as well.

I had a mechanic come in and take a look at the car. He tested the ignition system (all worked). He also by passed the alarm and still there was no power going to the pump.

I also had the pump running on 12v (separately) and tried to start the car. Same as before, it would crank but not start.

He mentioned that it could be the ECU, so I got a working replacement ECU (out of a 00 tiburon) and tried that as well. Same issue as before.

I checked the voltage at the relay and its not getting 12v.

I'm at a loss as to what to try now. I've got a new fuel pump as well, should I just replace it out?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel pump is relatively easy to remove/replace, but before you do that:

Does it pump fuel? Put 12V directly to the pump, does it spin? Pull off a high pressure line and stick the end in a narrow-mouth jar. Does it pump out gas? If the pump spins but doesn't give gas, when was the last time you checked either of the fuel filters?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I think the issue here, is that the ECU is not authorising the car to start: it probably isn't cycling the injectors even if you pump fuel manually. I bet that you'd find a 0v signal from the ECU when you check the relay too - but don't forget to check and confirm that.

I googled your trouble codes - certainly a faulty MAF reading will cause the ECU to disallow the engine to run. I'd start working up from simple/cheap to difficult/complex MAF solutions: check the wiring, check for any air leaks after the MAF, check that the air filter is clean, remove any CAIs that might be installed, then clean the MAF with contact cleaner or MAF cleaner. See how that goes.

I've not had to deal with auto transmission faults before, but some probable causes of the transmission fault as listed on google are:

- Low transmission fluid level

- Dirty transmission fluid

- Faulty shift solenoid D valve

- Shift solenoid D valve harness or connectors

- Shift solenoid D valve circuit is open or shorted

Has your trans been shifting okay? How old was that code?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Stocker
The fuel pump is relatively easy to remove/replace, but before you do that:

Does it pump fuel? Put 12V directly to the pump, does it spin? Pull off a high pressure line and stick the end in a narrow-mouth jar. Does it pump out gas? If the pump spins but doesn't give gas, when was the last time you checked either of the fuel filters?

The fuel pump spins. Where would the high pressure line be? (I"m sorry I dont know much about cars in general. This happens to be my first car)
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Wouldn't swapping out the ECU fix that problem?

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
I think the issue here, is that the ECU is not authorising the car to start: it probably isn't cycling the injectors even if you pump fuel manually. I bet that you'd find a 0v signal from the ECU when you check the relay too - but don't forget to check and confirm that.

I googled your trouble codes - certainly a faulty MAF reading will cause the ECU to disallow the engine to run. I'd start working up from simple/cheap to difficult/complex MAF solutions: check the wiring, check for any air leaks after the MAF, check that the air filter is clean, remove any CAIs that might be installed, then clean the MAF with contact cleaner or MAF cleaner. See how that goes.

I've not had to deal with auto transmission faults before, but some probable causes of the transmission fault as listed on google are:

- Low transmission fluid level

- Dirty transmission fluid

- Faulty shift solenoid D valve

- Shift solenoid D valve harness or connectors

- Shift solenoid D valve circuit is open or shorted

Has your trans been shifting okay? How old was that code?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

The only place I know every car has a high pressure fuel line is in the engine bay. If you pull the injector rail and the injectors are all four spraying strong that tells you a lot. If they don't spray at all or just dribble some gas, that is also instructive