Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Interesting problem with a 2001 tiburon

Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 2.0L
Default Interesting problem with a 2001 tiburon

Hey guys, so I have an interesting problem. I have an 01 tiburon and it cranks but does not start (turn over).

So I figured the problem could be fuel, spark or air. Checked the spark and air and they are good. Check the fuel and there was no gas going to the engine. So I took out the back seat and checked the fuel pump. The fuel pump turns on if manually given 12 volts but it doesnt turn on normally. Checked the voltage at the electric line coming in and it was 0. So I thought it was the fuel pump relay. I swapped out one of the relays from the front and still no voltage.

After a job to keep the frustration subsided, I decided to hook up an obd device to read the codes. The device (that I know usually works and worked in another car) was having a hard time connecting to the car but after 20 tries or so it finally connected and gave me these codes. (using pro scan 5.9)

1. P0100

Powertrain: MAF Sensor Ckt. Insufficient Activity

2. P0765

Powertrain: Shift Solenoid D Malfunction

I turned the car off and then on again and the codes had disappeared, but the connecting issue was still there.

Any thoughts on how to further proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the pre cursor to how the car came to be in this predicament. I was driving but didnt notice that I was running low on gas. The gas dropped to almost the VERY end of E (past the little notch) but it still drove to the gas station. I filled up the tank and drove back home. I parked the car over night and tried to start it in the morning. It just cranked but did not turn over (start)
Old 09-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

honestly i don't know enough bout cars to give sound advice, but have you checked the connections to the fuel pump, its not getting power at the pump... but is the relay getting power? if it is getting power that means it could be a broken wire somewhere between there and the pump, right?

again i dunno much bout working on cars just throwing out a suggestion
Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 PM

Every little suggestion helps because as my mom used to say, "two heads are better than one". I changed the relay with a good one but I'm actually not sure how to check if there's voltage where the relay is installed.

Originally Posted by Zekkal
honestly i don't know enough bout cars to give sound advice, but have you checked the connections to the fuel pump, its not getting power at the pump... but is the relay getting power? if it is getting power that means it could be a broken wire somewhere between there and the pump, right?

again i dunno much bout working on cars just throwing out a suggestion
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

a loose gas cap could cause it to not start...
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Regit
a loose gas cap could cause it to not start...

I tested the gas cap before heading toward the fuel pump idea. Sadly, I fear the solution is not that simple.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

if it cranks but dosent start 80% chance its either crank or cam position sensors. your MAF might be dirty as well but that wont stop it from running. you can take it off and car will still run
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by optimoprime
if it cranks but dosent start 80% chance its either crank or cam position sensors. your MAF might be dirty as well but that wont stop it from running. you can take it off and car will still run

Would that cause no voltage at the fuel pump?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Did you check the fuel pump fuse? Power goes from the battery, to the fuse, to the relay and then the pump. Also, at the fuel pump relay, there should be 4 slots (for the 4 legs of the relay). With the relay out and the car off, one should have constant power. A second one should get power when you switch the ignition to "on". The other two should show ground.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Did you check the fuel pump fuse? Power goes from the battery, to the fuse, to the relay and then the pump. Also, at the fuel pump relay, there should be 4 slots (for the 4 legs of the relay). With the relay out and the car off, one should have constant power. A second one should get power when you switch the ignition to "on". The other two should show ground.

Checked all the fuses and they all were good. (Checked them with a multimeter just to be sure).

Is it possible for the ECU to be bad and cause no voltage at the fuel pump?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Yes. That's why I said to check the relay socket. The one with power all the time is from the battery, through a fuse. The one that's hot with the ignition on is the signal wire from the ECU that turns on the relay.