Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

intake size for 2L tiburon

Old 10-08-2004, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The last pics of the season for me

i am working on my cai and i have both 3" and 2.5" piping. the intake is going to run down to where my fog light is (fogs taken out). Would is be best to go with 3" because of the amount of bends to get the filter down there or should i use 2.5?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:36 AM

Default intake size for 2L tiburon

I have an AEM and I believe that it is 2.5". The fit near the battery is very tight. If you are going to use 3" piping, you will need to move your battery.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: FS: SAFC2

thanks for the input
Old 10-08-2004, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: *Exhaust Listings* Currently Available...

Don't forget my man, the bigger the intake, the lower the air velocity.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Calling out javageek

thanks redz. i should be able to have it all welded buy the middle of next week. i'll post some pics
Old 10-08-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Re: 1/4 mile time question...

Hi guys, I don't mean to contradict any about the intake piping, but I have always heard 3" is just too much for the Tib. I have right now installed on my RD Tib a 3" CAI (custom made) and I don't feel I lost torque on low rpm's and I feel I gain pretty much on medium (3500 and upper rpm).

Well, my Tib is MAP based, and there is my point, I think maybe 3" it's not too much, but maybe it's because of your MAF size (2,5") that using a bigger CAI piping is worse that sticking to the MAF size (a change in piping size can create flow distorsions that are worse than a smaller pipe).

Well, just wanted to throw in my 2c. Maybe if there was a bigger MAF, a bigger intake would work?

Also I have a intalled the 1.8 Cam, and a 2,5" catback exhaust, so maybe that's also why I don't feel any lack of torque on the lower part of the tach.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Get a free Ipod!!!

3 inch is too big for MAF, not for MAP.

Very good point.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:24 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: Turbo mods

A good rule of thumb is to go 25% larger than the diameter of your throttlebody. Like Redz said, the larger the intake the slower the air velocity, this means that you may get more hp out of it, bit it's all going to be high end, where the velocity is sped up because of the engine. Also, you want to taper it down as it reaches the TB so that the air speed can increase and you get more air into the engine.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:59 AM

Default Re: The last pics of the season for me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (supry)</div><div class='quotemain'>A good rule of thumb is to go 25% larger than the diameter of your throttlebody. Like Redz said, the larger the intake the slower the air velocity, this means that you may get more hp out of it, bit it's all going to be high end, where the velocity is sped up because of the engine. Also, you want to taper it down as it reaches the TB so that the air speed can increase and you get more air into the engine.</div>

what about 3" up to the MAF then 2.5 to the TB. i was planning on keeping the stock intake tube from the TB to the MAF. Would that be tapered enough or should i just switch the stock tube while im at it?
Old 10-09-2004, 07:15 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: intake size for 2L tiburon

That should work decent since its just the elbow after the maf, I'm not that certain, but I think that the elbow is smaller down by the maf than up by the TB, but I haven't looked under my hood in a while, if it isn't you should be all set.