Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Inspection In 5 Days And I Need Help

Old 06-16-2007, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right, Well their is no MAP sensor on the manifold where its ment to be, and no MAF sensor on the intake. I looked up the pic of where the map sensors ment to be so im 100% sure its not their, I just took off and checked every single vac line from the manifold, none lead to the MAP sensor. I resealed my headgasket with RTV silicone because it had a slow drip of oil. Im going to start it up tomorrow and hope all my problems go away because somehow my car is running and it shouldn't be. The wiring is HIDEOUS. Everything is correctly fused but every single wire has been replaced. The Fuse box's have been bypassed. This is just about my worst nightmare mad.gif Especially since the electrical lab at school's closed now and I dont own a scope or even a multimeter ive been probing with nothing but a testlite.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:25 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

why has everything been replaced?
Old 06-16-2007, 05:27 PM

No idea, I bought it a couple month's ago. It does have a custom alarm system, all the wiring is done correctly and seam's clean enough so far. I really don't have the slightest clue how my car is running since I don't have a MAF or MAP sensor. I doubt default settings would let it run as good as it has been.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 PM

Well heres my engine bay and the only connector I can find thats disconnected and could be a maf connector.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:55 PM

thats definitly a maf plug!

time to find a used maf....
Old 06-20-2007, 07:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You can get a Kia Sportage MAF from advanced auto parts for $70 instead of a hyundai tiburon MAF for $170. They're the same part, just the KIA one says KIA on the housing. I found that by searching through their parts. You'll also need an extra silicone coupler.

That's definately a MAF sensor plug and it needs to get plugged into a MAF sensor.

I wonder why they would configure it like that. That's odd.

Some other things you'll need to take care of to make your car work right... You'll need to connect that breather from the intake air controller to the intake after the MAF somewhere on the 90 degree elbow to make the intake air register correctly somehow. You'll need a silicone coupler to connect the MAF inline with the cold air intake somewhere between the elbow and the filter.

Explain the situation to the guy at the parts store and he should be able to come up with some sort of thing you can drill into your intake piping to connect your IAC, as well as get you the proper size silicone coupler and a 1999 KIA sportage MAF.

You should get a cap for your brake fluid.

BTW... O/T... When my car has no MAF sensor plugged in, it runs ok. The RPMs will fluctuate at idle sometimes after pressing on the gas. I think it's because the car can regulate AF ratio and input air somewhat by using the 1st o2 sensor, but it has to wait until it reads it, instead of using the MAF to determine the actual input air. Who was the douchebag that removed such a critical component? Why would he do that?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM

did your car have a intake on it when you bought it? i think its a maf car, just someone decided it wasnt important and tossed it. and as dtn said, that IAC valve definitly needs to be conected to your intake tract, and not sucking air from the engine bay.

you have a few issues that need to be worked out!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:01 PM

yeh it had the intake, now heres one more of these... "What am I"
Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

^ I hope someone answers this. I don't know what that is either.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I've got one of those on my tib too..not plugged into anything. It's one of those things that different models have or something, maybe overseas even.

Anyway, did you get a MAF? And why do you think you have a MAP engine anyway?