Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Idle problem and missing CEL indicator

Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe
Default Idle problem and missing CEL indicator

hi all,

i'm encountering a few problems with my 97 tib.. first, i have an idling problem. i've used the search function and couldn't find a thread with a similar problem. basically, i observed that the car starts to idle erratically while cruising (ie: having the car run on inertia after going down a ramp, bridge, downhill slope etc.) the RPM needle jumps from 1000 to 2500 around 3 - 5 times until i have to push the throttle down to stabilize the car's acceleration. after pushing on the throttle, the car runs fine. the erratic increase in RPM also sometimes happens when i'm on neutral / park. again, the idling is solved by pressing on the throttle. any ideas? It's an 2.0l Autotragic btw.

Lastly, this seems really stupid but i could not seem to find the Check Engine Light in my tib. i looked at the manual and took note of where it should be. i used a flashlight to somehow see the outline of the Check Engine Light but it really isn't there. also, shouldn't the CEL illuminate while starting the car (similar to how all the other indicators light up before starting).

any ideas? thanks in advance guys
Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

TPS is a very common sensor that goes bad on RD's and presents the erratic idle and acceleration at times

Check the sensor itself and look for the name "dae sung" on the front, dead give away. The "good" ones are made by

"kefico" although I've seen them fail as well.

When all else fails check the voltage sweep on the signal wire while moving the butterfly. .5v-4.5v sweep closed to WOT.

Regarding the CEL it should light up with the key on, more than likely the bulb blew out, which is easy to replace once you get to the instrument cluster. A bad TPS normally does NOT throw a code.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

What he said ^^
Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ what he said, except to add that TPS is Throttle Position Sensor . . . when it has a bad spot, the car thinks you are fooling around on the gas pedal when you are not.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

Just want to add CEL on my car is on the most top right corner don't know if Tibs in Philippines are same thought
Old 09-19-2011, 03:38 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

took a look at my TPS and i have the Kefico brand. wiggled it a bit and everything seems to be back to normal for now. i'll be looking for a replacement within the week just to be safe. also, how do you clean sensors? any general cleaning term for the product?

CEL light, still couldn't find it but i'll check again within the week as per TibbyTurbo's advice. i never tried looking at the top most right of the dash. i've used my flashlight to see if i can make out any of the "masks" or patterns the unlit CEL makes but no joy as of now.