Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Idle Bog

Old 06-19-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

Okay, I know this happens to people (I can remember mad-machine talking about it a lot). The thing is, I've sold about 4 TPS's (all KEFICO) in the past couple months, and I always try them on my car first to make sure they work .. they all do the same thing. I get no CEL, and the car runs like a charm, except occasionally while idling the car will suddenly start to idle lower and lower almost like its going to die, it will jump from about 900 (normal idle) to like 200 about 3 times, then finally stabalize once again at 900 rpms. I can't remember when this started happening, but it seems like it was after installing my airram/bbtb. This really leads me to believe it just HAS to be a TPS issue...but it just can't be. I've been through way too many of them for them ALL to be faulty, lol. It happens totally random too, and the only time I have any problems is idling. Happens when the engine is hot or cold, ac on or off. Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

Bad circuit maybe???

just an idea
Old 06-19-2006, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

no cel's? weird stuff like that is going to be difficult to track without one. it could be any sensor sending weird signals or just a problem with the actual wire to the sensor.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:32 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

check your IAT or PCV, it might be from either of those. same thing happened to me and i noticed my AIT sensor wasn't plugged in. might be your AIT sensor too... try resetting your computer after toying around with that.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

mine used to do the same thing....

then i realized it was the fans turning on lmao.gif lmao.gif
Old 06-20-2006, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, I'd do this.

First, adjust your idle to a bit higher. About 950 to 1000 RPM's. It shouldn't be really loud, but adjust that.

Next, check ALL FITTINGS for vaccum leaks. If you covered up any of the extra nipples on the Airram, what did you cover them with? Are they definately not leaking at all?

Check all your hoses, everything, every gasket, ALL of it, for leaks.

Next, take off your idle bypass, and clean it throughly.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ the vacuum does sounds like a likely culprit, wouldn't throw a cel most likey and vacuum leaks can make your car do crasy things.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:02 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

It was the fans kicking on faith? That may be all it is then, because I've been over and over my airram IM and there's no kinks anywhere, all hoses are tight (they weren't right after the install, as some of you may remember my weird water temp gauge problem). But then again, if it's the fans, then how come when I kick my a/c on it doesn't do that? It will bog a little, but not to the point of almost dying. Also if it is a vacuum leak, wouldn't it lessen as the engine warms up? This seems to happen completely at random..And all the gaskets are good I know because just a week ago I took my BBTB apart to fix the butterfly on it and I checked everything over then too. The IAT is in place in my CAI, no problems there. What were you saying about the PCV valve though HKC?? Could this maybe have anything to do with the evap canister removal? It really doesn't bother me much, doesn't happen very often and only lasts a few seconds, but when other people are in the car they can feel it and they're like wtf? lol.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

I replaced my MAF - it was causing eratic behavior.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I have _exactly_ the same problem, except mine started after I installed my AEM CAI. No CEL, just random bogs. Only way I can get it to stop is to tap the gas for a sec. I've checked IAT, TPS is a Kefico, and I just replaced the PCV valve (and put on a Beta2 Valve Cover). The only thing I havn't checked is the MAF and that crazy idle actuator thing at the top of our engine bays (the thing that buzzes when you turn the key). Hopefully someone comes up with a good solution to this, because I know we are not alone!