Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

I think I have a lemon.. TONS of problems!

Old 08-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Re: Double DIN question

Alright, I thought I had a broken CV Joint. I also had a CEL that wouldn't go away for two months. I took it to the dealership last Wednesday, and I called today to get an update. I knew they couldn't get to it right away (one of the two Tech guys quit), but I was in no hurry since they gave me a loaner vehicle while they work on mine ('04 V6 Sonata).

All things are covered under warranty, but here it is:
"Well, the CV Joint seemed to be the obvious problem, but when we started looking at it, we had to start taking thing apart to find out where the knocking noise was coming from. It's rare for this to happen, but we have parts on the way."
Apparently there's a "damper" type thing on the long part of the axle that helps keep it balanced and quiet. That "moved towards the center, towards the engine" so it caused the annoying knocking sound. It was damaged so they're replacing it under the powertrain warranty.

Now, for the last month or two, my CAI has been coming loose where it's connected at the MAF. About once a week I have to re-tighten the hose clamp. Found out the problem: My automatic transmission was replaced about 12,000 miles ago (under warranty). Two of the transmission mounts are broken, and for some reason a 'stopper' type thing has torn and is causing the transmission to go further than usual when shifting, and while doing so it's knocking against my CAI tube, putting chips in it and dinging it up. "No mechanical or performance damage, just cosmetic" to the tube he tells me. Well, they're fixing that under the powertrain warranty (both the mounts and the stopper thing.

Next problem: The CEL.
It's throwing P0442 (or P0422, whichever is NOT the gas cap). It shows Catalyst Below Threshold. This usually means a bad Cat or O2 sensor. Well, they start working on finding the problem, testing the sensors, then realize I have a crack in my exhaust manifold, and exhaust is leaking out, causing the O2 sensor to read a difference in exhaust. Well, they're replacing that as well, under the emissions warranty.

This is gonna suck when my warranty runs out. 02.gif
Old 08-04-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Custom Short Shifter.

I hope it's just a phase your car is going through, that would really suck if after you pay it off it starts to go down hill man.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: I think I have a lemon.. TONS of problems!

not really... while having the damper move is an unusual problem.. the stock exhaust IS known to crack and engine/tranny mounts in a front driver do take a beating.. replace a couple of your engine mounts with the poly ones.. it will not only help the car feel all of one piece.. but it will take some strain off of the other mounts. Stock mounts are made VERY soft to suit the majority of drivers out there who really do not want to know there is an engine under the hood... because they are soft, they tear easily.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Screw in rear rotor?

My CAI did that for the first 3 months it was installed. Cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol and it stopped.

As for the rest mang, stuff does happen, keep all the records, your warranties on REPLACED parts or TROUBLED parts starts over when replaced.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Insomniac Thread

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>As for the rest mang, stuff does happen, keep all the records, your warranties on REPLACED parts or TROUBLED parts starts over when replaced.</div>

heh.. this mean Hyundai will be replacing wheel bearings for us until our cars are a pile of iron oxide?
Old 08-04-2004, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Went to start the elantra and....

Sorry to hear about your car problems...hopefully everything will work itself out.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Best Bang for the $$, exterior 'upgrades' ??

For you guys. I've got no bearing problems.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: 20 WHP from just an intake?!

ok first of all, swap in a manual tranny, problem solved
then get a nice header, problem 2 solved,
the CV thing just sucks, no really aftermarket CV's out there uhmm thats why most of my car is aftermarket.. havent had a problem with it yet wink1.gif
Old 08-05-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Re: What happened to jaws?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>

As for the rest mang, stuff does happen, keep all the records, your warranties on REPLACED parts or TROUBLED parts starts over when replaced.</div>

heh.. this mean Hyundai will be replacing wheel bearings for us until our cars are a pile of iron oxide?</div>

yea or till your warranty expires man.

don't think you got a lemon majik... my bearings break all the damn time. for your intake, get some contacts cleaner and clean the contacts on the sensor, see if that makes ur CEL turn off.