Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

I Need Help. I Need A Mode $08 Scan

Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, guys, if anyone has some time, a OBD dongle and a day or so to sit around and watch their cars, I need some help

I am determining MODE $08 capabilities. I ran a scan on my car and could not find any MODE $08 capabilities after a few hours. Would someone care to help?

For those who don't know, MODE $08 allows control of cars systems. If anyone can help out here, it would be a blessing to the entire hyundai community.

It takes about 2 seconds per code to scan. There are around 10,000 codes which need to be scanned. If anyone is willing, I will send a flash drive to you with a simple scanner program I have created. Then, you will get a copy of OBD 2ner Operating System when it is released.

This is not a joke. I have logged in over 100 online sensor outlines thus far. The journey has just started and there is still much to do. Any help would be appreciated and rewarded. mode $08 would be the greatest thing for us. Any car would be accepted and would give a start-point for future scans.

The stipulations: Your car needs to be year 2000 or newer, you need a laptop or computer which you can hook to your car. You need a OBD dongle and you need some time.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

From Wikipedia: Mode $08 could enable the off-board test device to control the operation of an on-board system, test, or component.

Sounds promising. It would be awesome to have a flash tuner for tibs.

My RD2 sits in my driveway all day, everyday. Being summer I have gobs of free time.

If the OBD dongle is cheap enough I could help you out.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 AM
DTN

You can pick up a bluetooth OBD-II dongle from various sources online for less then $30

Please help out here! This could mean full control over our engines. Tuning without replacing the ECU.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM

I have a laptop and obdii dongle. I'll do it as long as I know it won't kill my ecu tongue.gif . Also, about how long will this take?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I can give it a try, looks like a full scan should only take about 6 hours then what's the advantage of having us do it?

If you can email me the scanner I could run it tonight.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

Would these work?

Link 1

Link 2

Also, can you just e-mail the software?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:38 PM
DTN

^^Yes.

I will go with SuperCow since I know he uses linux.

Supercow, This is a BASH script designed to send data in a serial format to an ELM 327 while redirecting output from the device to a file. This is nothing special. It's just data collection. There is risk. We are sending commands to the ECU and hoping for a response to the mode $08. This logged test will recover any data sent from the ECU. The hope is to hit many codes in a methodical manner and then work with the data later to isolate cause and effect. This test may do nothing at all. Then again, this test could require quick action in shutting down the vehicle to avoid pinging. It will require that you sit near your car for the entire period.

Super cow, what type of OBD dongle do you use? Bluetooth, Serial, or USB?

Also, when you plug it in do you have the proper device? If USB, it should be /dev/ttyUSB0 If not, give me a `lsusb -v` output and I'll code something to initialize the device under linux.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
DTN

Is anyone up for the task?

I am midway through writing the read interperator for MODE $01. MODE $04 is complete. MODE $02 3 5 and 6 are simple. Is anyone willing to watch their car for a few hours and shut it down in the event of rough idle or ping?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

oh it has to be running? I'll let you know when I'm ready for that.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 PM
DTN

Bump. Any takers?