Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

I need everyone's opinion

Old 12-07-2004, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NOT SAFE FOR WORK THREAD!

Ok.... Here's the thing, i've got 1,000 in the bank right now. All i have in my car is a CAI. I planned on buying Headers, exaust, Airram, BBTB, 1.8 intake cam. Then i was eventually going to buy Veilside kit w/ custom paint, rims, fenders, CF hood & spoiler and some other things. Then later, after the exterior was done i would go back and sell the CAI & headers and buy a turbokit.

Now im thinking that instead of buying all thoes Engine mods listed above, maybe i should just buy the exaust and then save up for a turbo kit. Then after the turbo i can go ahead and do the stuff listed above to my exterior. Then when im done with my exterior i could go and buy a BBTB, intake cam and airram.

Another thing to think about is that this is my first nice car and it may be better for me to go NA and get a feel for some power instead of jumping right into a turbo and blowing my engine.

Let me know what you guys think. Any suggestions/opinions would be great thanks.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: RDTiburon Test Site

This is just my 2 cents, but I would not do any mods (ie cai) if you are planning to go turbo in the near future. You will never get what you paid for the parts after they are used (wasted money in my opinion).

I eventually will go turbo too, but I am not buying any parts that I would later have to sell.

The only way to blow up a motor with a turbo is to not have it tuned right in the first place.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: I need everyone's opinion

oooh nooo. do you know anything about turbos? they're not just parts you slap on. somebody suggested before, get a book on turbos at a bookstore. spend some time with it. then go and buy a kit.

if you're serious about a turbo, do not buy any headers or CAI buddy. it's just a waste of time and money.

remember, your insurance goes up with a turbo. and i think it shortens the life of your engine. you also have to prepare your engine to handle it. pistons and rods, fuel pump, SAFC, new ECU, tuning, exhaust. on top of all of those, imagine the labor it's going to cost for somebody to put it all on for you.

it really depends on what you want. take my advice for it, tubos are sweet and all... you just have to learn to be its daddy. it's like your engine on sterroids. if you use them improperly you will go kaboom.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: RD Product List 2004

^^^ That book is Maximum Boost by Corky Bell smile.gif Read it... Then Read it again.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:59 PM

Default Re: FS-JVC KD-G700 and 1frd RF capacitor

Buy cheap ebay headers and CAI...then depending on what you want first, do bodywork or turbo. Depending on what kind of turbo set up you wanna do, it might be more expensive to do the turbo than bodywork. It all depends on how much you wanna do of each.

What Im planning to do is get all my bodywork done with in one shot. That way, while I'm putting my turbo project together, I can still put my car in shows and have a basic street car.

The turbo is kinda something that you can always keep adding to as time goes by. Like, you can start with a basic kit and low boost, and then add more parts like your BBTB and such as you go along and want more boost.

Its a good idea to really put a lot of time into your decisions and make sure you are investing in something you want so that way in a year or so you wont waste time and money changing your mind. I found that out the hard way and wasted about a year and quite a bit of money.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:21 PM

Default Re: ultimate turbo set up

guess until i make up my mind i'll just save up. I'll use the money sooner or later
Old 12-07-2004, 11:18 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default Re: RDTiburon Decals!

or you could run a LIGHTLY boosted (and PROPERLY tuned) turbo system on your car on all your stock internals (except a different fuel pump). this will give you more/about the same result as all of your NA mods. it just takes self-control once you get it there to not want to boost more, or else you will blow your engine smile.gif
but then again, you get a lot more head turns with a veilside kit wink1.gif i personally went show before go, but everyone has a different opinion on THAT issue.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Rebuild Kit

If you are insistant on going turbo.. there are some mods you can do now that will cross over. The airram, the 1.8 cam, big bore throttle body (provided you are not going for HUGE boost) and the exhaust..

Other things you can do for now to prepare your car for boost.. upgrade the suspension and brakes. There is NOTHING worse than having a car with an engine that overpowers the rest of the car. It is a very scary experience that will sooner or later get you killed, hurt, or if you are lucky, scared witless.

Body kits, that is your call and yours alone. Aesthetics are something that appeal to everyone differently. I prefer the mostly stock looks of my car.. but I am in the process of lightly tweaking them without taking away from the basic package.

And that is how you have to treat a car.. as a whole package... as you sharpen one edge, all the others begin to look dull in comparision
Old 12-08-2004, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Kspec Maintec Header/Turbo Manifold GB *8 of 12*

Nicely said mad, yo should just really save your money until youve made your own mind too. Theres nothing worse than deciding between a couple of good things then getting the one you can afford, or is convenient then realizng you would have been happier with the other. Decide whether you want show or go, then spend your money wisely.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Unofficial RDTib Females Thread *pics*

OK; I´ll give you my opinion, I think first you should decide if you're going turbo no matter what, then try deciding (I admit it's difficult) if you're into mad HP figures which will involve as said, transforming your daily rider into a racing machine. Once you make that decission try to get your best estimate on cost, because there's not much fun into saving like two years to finally get the money you need, and the realize you no longer like your car that much... if you still have the same car.
Personally, I'd rather spend money in suspension mods (a really week side of our cars, specially shocks) so that you can really enjoy the full potencial your actual engine can provide. Then gradually, put money into it, for example with an AirRam and a phenolic spacer and a BBTB not too big for N/A, but that will helpo anyway with a turbo kit. As for exhaust, upgrade your catback first, don't go to an expensive brand catback, go to a muffler shop and have your own custom made, you can go as large as 2,5" mandrel bend catback if you don't changte the pre-cat part (because you wont loose backpressure as the first part si still OEM) then throw in a performance Cat, and by then you would have had a lot of fun adding those mods (Hey! isn't the fun more in the process than in the final HP figures? laugh.gif ) and all of those would still be turbo friendly.
As for the Veilside Kit, I personaly dislike it, it changes too much the apearience of the very handsome Tib, but if you like it, that's the only thing that matters.