Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

I Need A Catalytic Converter

Old 08-30-2008, 03:31 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

my N2O drained slowly over a week into my intake I think... It drained the bottle to 0PSI.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

It could just be your o2 sensor...when the last time its been replaced??

Is your car running rich??

And also you should reset your computer so that the computer will adjust quicker..it probaly is reading a sudden change and think the cat is breaking down if you didnt reset the ecu...

Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
DTN

I think it's that the magnaflow high flow catalytic converter has just broken in. I reset the ECU and the light came on again. Oddly, I took 3 drives on the highway and it went off. Then when I drove at 55 on the normal road I usually take, the light came back on. I think it's right at the threshold and it's going to continue. The car is running clean, no deposits on my exhaust, the o2 sensors are checking out fine for changeover time/min voltage/max voltage. There are no eronious readings according to the MANY computer diagnostics I've run. This car was designed to meet california emissions control specs and I'm slightly out of those specs. I'm going to add a sparkplug non-fouler and it should be fine.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:03 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

DTN, what is the model number of the CAT you got?

Woot 1000 posts!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

Yeah, if it was a cali. car then that probaly explains the cel. Its probaly on the edge of the cali. emmision spec. with only one magnaflow cat. The ecu is what is reading the emmision and cali is pretty strict on exhaust.

To fix that is to put in a NON- california spec ecu and that would probaly take care of the cel because it wont be programed for that strict exhaust emissions.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:51 PM
DTN

^^ I don't think that would help. I've replaced my Cali 2.0 emissions ECU with a canadian spec 2.0 ECU. I don't know if there was a difference.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullfrog @ Sep 3 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>DTN, what is the model number of the CAT you got?

Woot 1000 posts!!!</div>

Here's a picture of the box
oops, that's not a picture of the box...
Here's a picture of the box

94105, all state emissions except california, they require 2 catalytic converters, but the seccond one is not monitored

I'm just tired of dealing with it, I will just go ahead and add a spark plug fouler. The o2 sensors are fine and they've both been replaced in the last 30,000 miles. The emissions look clean, I don't have a very sooty buildup around the tailpipe after a week. I think a spark plug non-fouler or something else to get the 2nd o2 sensor out of the post-cat exhaust stream would work fine.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Let me know how the fouler works for you. I did some reading about it today and it seems to work for a majority of people.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:47 PM

I suppose it's a good time for me to chime in too. I'm in need of a catalytic converter as well. I'm working on collecting my entire exhaust system, but I'm at a sort of slow pace because of funds. owned.gif

I have my headers already, which will obviously require some serious modifications to make them work (thanks DTN, those freakin' eclipse headers don't fit at all!!!). But, at least I have them, and they will eventually fit. I have my flex pipe, resonator, and miscellaneous mandrel bent tubing at my disposal to create this exhaust. I'm getting an obx twin loop muffler to reduce sound to as low as reasonably achievable.

The last thing to get is a catalytic converter. I thought about getting a magnaflow, but seeing as DTN's having some issues with that one, I'm looking in other directions. (I hope that spark plug non fouler thing works out ok)

I saw this one on Ebay

Looks pretty sleek, but does anyone know anything about it? There are others like it, but I really don't see much difference. Any insight???
Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 PM
DTN

^^ My headers fit fine, they just needed all but 2 bolt holes elongated a bit outwards. The ports line up fine and all, it's just a slight bit of work to get the bolt holes in the right place. Someone did a DIY a long time ago on it.

As for the catalytic converter, It may be TOO high flow of a cat. I think a bit of resistance may be required to get the catalyst burning hot enough. I noticed at higher RPMs on the highway at 70mph, the CEL goes off after a few trips, but at 55 mph the CEL comes on. Maybe a non-high flow cat would work better, with a larger pipe diameter. I think it's just not getting hot enough for the larger pipe and the higher flow.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

'll tell you what man. try putting your OEM hoodback on. it could also be that your vented hood is letting too much exhaust heat out cooling your exhaust manifold enough to reduce the temperature of the cat. don't know if you had the hood on before the code came up, but it's worth a try.

also, figure out a way to cover up those vents a bit. i wish i had before when i had my EVO hood ON. i thought it was ok, and a bunch of people argued "so what if a few drops get into the engine bay?". verdict was listen to yourself. i said it wasn't ok for rain to get down there and sure enough it shorted some wires, got my battery tray, transmission, exhaust manifold bolts, and the mount on the bottom rusted up, dried out all of the electric tape from various sensors, and during driving got as far as the firewall and dirtied up the entire bay, made my Jet-Hot coating crack, peel off and rust. rain is rain. it deteriorates metal and rock. i doubt it wouldn't deteriorate a tiburon.