Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

I Made It! (200,000 Miles) Status/update

Old 05-29-2010, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well guys, here's some cliff notes about my car:

1998 Tiburon FX, bought in 2003 with 59,000 miles. She was beaten and never maintained. I bought her and performed a full engine maintenance and made necessary repairs. Both of us drove all over the USA and still gets an average of 31-33 MPG (29 MPG on cheap gas).

Because she was so good to me, tomorrow I am scheduling a major maintenance and repair:

-Oil (Mobil 1)
-Oil filter (Hyundai)
-New spark plug wires (NGK)
-New spark plugs (NGK)
-P/S and Clutch fluid flush
-Brake fluid flush
-Fuel Filter change (Hyundai)
-Air filter (STP)
-Coolant flush
-Transmission oil change (Redline MT-90)
-Exterior wash and wax
-Interior cleaned
-Fresh gasoline and gas system treatment.

REPAIRS:

-New wipers
-New tires
-New brake pads and rotors
-New valve cover gasket

-Minor electrical glitches (dashboard lights)
-All major components are running fine
-Engine and Transmission running smooth like butter thanks to synthetic lubricants and regular maintenance.

Pictures and video coming soon. I want to keep this car for another 200,000 miles. I'll repost at 400,000 miles(644,000 KM)
Old 05-29-2010, 01:51 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Nice numbers. My RD2 is still around 185,000 miles but needs new tires real bad. You should run NGK Iridium spark plugs in the car. They are by far the best plugs I have ran in my car. Also for fuel additive try running 1/4 - 1/2 bottle of Lucas Racing Octane boost the one in the red bottle on a full tank of 91 octane gas. You should notice a nice little performance increase after wards. Oh and reset your computer after you fill up with the gas and octane boost then drive the hell out of it for bit while the computer relearns itself with the better fuel.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Krazy please don't quote the last post.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krazy @ May 29 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nice numbers. My RD2 is still around 185,000 miles but needs new tires real bad. You should run NGK Iridium spark plugs in the car. They are by far the best plugs I have ran in my car. Also for fuel additive try running 1/4 - 1/2 bottle of Lucas Racing Octane boost the one in the red bottle on a full tank of 91 octane gas. You should notice a nice little performance increase after wards. Oh and reset your computer after you fill up with the gas and octane boost then drive the hell out of it for bit while the computer relearns itself with the better fuel.</div>

I'm a smooth operator when it comes to driving so for a normal driver like me, NGK coppers are good enough and have been good to me since I bought the car. And wow, I had no idea that the computer learns from our driving?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

It does, to a certain extent. More so for the automatic transaxle's shifting behavior, but also for engine running conditions.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:38 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stocker @ May 29 2010, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Krazy please don't quote the last post.</div>

I only did that because I thought it was such a good post that it deserved to be repeated. cool.gif

I will refrain from doing that in the future. fing02.gif

Old 05-30-2010, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krazy @ May 29 2010, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nice numbers. My RD2 is still around 185,000 miles but needs new tires real bad. You should run NGK Iridium spark plugs in the car. They are by far the best plugs I have ran in my car. Also for fuel additive try running 1/4 - 1/2 bottle of Lucas Racing Octane boost the one in the red bottle on a full tank of 91 octane gas. You should notice a nice little performance increase after wards. Oh and reset your computer after you fill up with the gas and octane boost then drive the hell out of it for bit while the computer relearns itself with the better fuel.</div>

I hope you understand that by adding octane booster your car will actually run worse and get worse gas mileage. The ECU is tuned on a certain octane of gas. "Cheap" gas (87,89) doesn't mean the quality of gas is any lower than premium (91,92,93) it only means it's a different gas. If the manufacturer tells you to run premium, run premium. That's what the ECU is tuned to use. By running regular in an engine that needs premium your ECU will use your low octane maps which restricts the engine from running higher ignition because regular gas detonates at higher ignition than premium. Running premium in an engine that is tuned for regular also will put the ECU into a "safe" mode essentially, not allowing the engine to achieve peak performance or gas mileage.

Octane boosters are what highschoolers use when they can't "afford" premium for their cars that take premium. They really don't do much of anything either.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 PM

I assume you have not tried Lucas Octane Booster yet in your car. I understand what your talking about in regards to most of those other octane boosters on the market that do nothing but waste your money. And yes I have tried most of them in search of ones that actually work. The Lucas Octane Booster is different, I notice a difference with just 1/4 of a bottle in every car I have tried it in so give it a try if you don't believe me.

It is true the ECU is tuned for a specific octane rating, but you also have to take into effect other factors like engine mods and driving style and which gas station you are filling up with. If you have mods done to your engine that can effect ignition timing like I do then there is a noticeable performance difference between 87 and 91 which are available in my area. If you drive your car hard then 91 octane generally performs better than a tank full of 87.

I disagree with your comment about premium or 91 octane putting your car into a safe mode preventing peak performance or gas mileage. If you put 100 octane in a car that wants 87 all you are doing is wasting your money and you should notice no difference in performance or mileage.

If you run a low octane like 87 in a car that requires 91 you will not only see a performance decrease you will also see a drop in gas mileage due to the ECU switching to fuel map that doesn't create any detonation or knocking.

I try to use specific gas stations in my area due to noticeably better fuel compared to others, so basically what im saying is test different gas stations out and different octanes till you find the right combo for your vehicle and driving style. Also make sure you reset the ECU after every fill up while you are searching for the brand of gas and octane rating that works the best with your car otherwise you won't notice a difference.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Krazy don't make your first warning level increase come from something dumb like that. Please stop quoting the last post.

Edited to add: arguing about octane boosters is like arguing 9mm vs. .45 It's been covered before, once or twice.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

nice to see someone making their car last as long as possible. it seems anymore people think that cars are consumables like toilet paper.