Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

I just proved that 3,000 mile oil changes, expensive oil and filter are unnecessary.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default I just proved that 3,000 mile oil changes, expensive oil and filter are unnecessary.

This is from blackstone Oil Labs in Indiana.

Some notes before you read the chart:

-Oil sample was taken at the end of the drain
-Car was driven hard in COld weather
-stop-go traffic james everyday
-HIghway driving everyday
-This oil was sampled right before my major 90k tune up and before my Auto-Rx flush

1999 Hyundai Tiburon FX, 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engine. No make up oil, Supertech Semi Synthetic oil 10w30(Walmart brand) with Supertech(wallmart brand) ST6607 Oil filter.

Nothing too unusual showed up here. All wear read at or below averages, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts and careful operation. Fuel dilution has lowered the viscosity and flashpoint slightly, though it isn't enough to call a problem at this point. The TBN was okay at 3.3, so the oil still has some life left. At 87,266 miles, we think this engine is doing well. Try 5,000-5,500 miles on the next oil. It isn't necessary to sample during the Auto-RX and rinse pahse unless you want to. -Blackstone

Aluminum 2
Chromium 2
Iron 7
Copper 3
Lead 1
Tin 1
Moly 2
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 1
Boron 2
Silicon 5
Sodium 2
Calcium 2207
Magnesium 8
Phosphorus 880
Zinc 996
Barium 1

My Next Test: AFter Auto-RX rinse Phase, My major engine tune up, Supertech 10w30 and Advance auto parts Oil filter.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:10 PM

so am i still considered the forum moron?btw thats the first time i heard of "semi-synthetic" oil. if u use that once do u have to keep using it? i know if u use synthetic then you have to keep using it.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kit-Fox)</div><div class='quotemain'>so am i still considered the forum moron?</div>yes. yes you are

semi sythetic also goes by "syntec-blend"

also... i really don't think this proves anything. what are all these numbers? what do they mean? what is this? an FDA Nutrion Fact's label?? explain 'em for the moron in me...
Old 02-17-2005, 07:51 PM

Google sparticus.. Those numbers are just what they say.. I dunno the right limits of everything, but high limits of the various metals and what not are bad, showing abnormal engine wear.. Those reports are VERY useful.. I dont know alot about them, I just found out about them on clubgp..
Old 02-17-2005, 07:57 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kit-Fox)</div><div class='quotemain'>so am i still considered the forum moron?btw thats the first time i heard of "semi-synthetic" oil. if u use that once do u have to keep using it? i know if u use synthetic then you have to keep using it.</div>

I don't know what the hell is going on.. i post this in alot of forums.. and they say i'm dumb and stuff. wtf. I guess you need a little oil knowledge etc to read this post. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com is where i learned.

According to Warren Performance products who makes the supertech oil saids that the semi Synthetic oil is 17% Synthetic material. and the rest Conventiona.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:58 PM

ive gone 2k over the limit. car still runs fine.
had to changed on time after that though.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:59 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparticus)</div><div class='quotemain'>yes. yes you are

semi sythetic also goes by "syntec-blend"

also... i really don't think this proves anything. what are all these numbers? what do they mean? what is this? an FDA Nutrion Fact's label?? explain 'em for the moron in me...</div>

Because the internals of the engine is made of many metals. the readings are metal particles found in my oil . but the things like Calcium, Phosperous, Moly are Oil additives supposily.

Oh yeah, the popular myth: Once you use synthetic , you can't go back.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A) The manual recommends every 6500 miles, not 3000... most people change every 3000 for peace of mind and better lubrication. If its old, its not as good. Oil breaks down, especially in cold weather.

B) Some motor oils are better than others. Its proven that more expensive oils like Amsoil and Royal Purple have less viscosity and actually let engines generate more HP because of less friction and heat.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:12 PM

Synthetics are also designed for longer miliage between changes.. I generally go about 6500 to 7000 miles on my tib and van.. less miles between changes in my italian cars (when they are on the road) Just due to the looser tolerances of them.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine)</div><div class='quotemain'>Synthetics are also designed for longer miliage between changes.. I generally go about 6500 to 7000 miles on my tib and van.. less miles between changes in my italian cars (when they are on the road) Just due to the looser tolerances of them.</div>

This was also a myth too man.. Synthetics= long oil intervals.

This engine oil was in all 3 months of winter and i drove 4,000 miles on it... i still had active additives in the oil... and I used the cheapest oil on the market.. The lab said it can go about 5,500 miles in oil changes.