Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

I Dont Know Which One To Do First

Old 04-13-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello guys, well man im gonna start saving to get my first performance part on my 01 tib because im tired of my friends telling me that my car cant go fast because they have mustangs blah blah blah and i love my tib so this my question, what do yall think i should get first to boost my speed and power an exhaust, cold air intake, headers, ect ??? and which one would be best for the price ???

-Ofo
Old 04-13-2010, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

You ARE the first person to ask this question!! tongue.gif

Cold air intake first, then headers for a bit of a gain, then exhaust. N/A mods are more or less worthless, you will gain at most a few 10s of horses without putting in way too much $$.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 AM

haha really ??? wow awesome !!! laugh.gif

i couldn't find any exhaust for the 01 and for headers i was lookin at the shark racing 4-1....and for cold air intake i was thinking the injen because i can make it to a ram air if it rains laugh.gif

but thanks a lot for answering my question
Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Get the AEM style. Better performance and really driving in the rain is overhyped. I've driven through some nasty storms and have never had an issue (knocks on wood) but as long as you don't submerge your intake into a lagoon of water you shouldn't hydrolock
Old 04-13-2010, 11:13 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

do any free/cheap mods you can as well. throttle body coolant bypass, clutch cylinder mod, weight reduction etc. after that i suggest CAI
Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM

+1 to what everyone said already.

Intake first, you will notice a difference in sound and performance.

Id advise aem style, but if you wanna get a cheap ebay one, At least spend the money and get a good filter.

Then exhaust...

You could do a 1.8l cam swap but thats for fun, no gains really there.

If you really wanna give those mustang bastards the finger, then you need some BOOST.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Definitely a cold air intake first. AEM style hands down, don't even mess with others, the AEM (and AEM knockoffs) are the ONLY one that places the filter OUTSIDE the engine bay for a true cold air intake.

worthless style intake - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bomz-Cold-A...sQ5fAccessories

the style you want (or spend the extra money and get the AEM, up to you) - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-02-HYUND...sQ5fAccessories

After that, go for a set of headers. Stay away from Shark Racing - terrible customer service, horribly overpriced products, and overall just a bad company to work with. However, their products are usually good quality - if you can get them without getting ripped off and don't mind paying 2x as much as you should.

Keep in mind that you are driving a 4 cylinder Tiburon, you're not going to compete with something like a V8 Mustang unless you do some forced induction (turbo, supercharger, nitrous, etc) - and by the way, there are no "turbo kits" for our cars, and all of the "supercharger kits" are worthless and made by Alpine. If you want forced induction, go turbo, and go custom.

BTW, 5 speed or automatic? If you're driving an automatic.. you may as well just come to terms with the fact that your car will just always be kinda slow.

Lastly, SEARCH! Questions like this have been answered many many many many times in the past. Searching this forum will give you TONS of info.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

automatic=kinda slow.... that's being too nice more like automatic=being hella slow
Old 04-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

So you're looking at a 4-1 header? Mind you, this will make you lose some low end power. The majority of your gain will be in the higher RPMS.

As opposed to a 4-2-1 header, which is a happy median for most. This way you get good flow, but not too cavernous to hinder low end performance.

Usually 4-1 = drag, 4-2-1 = street

Also, there are some turbo kits that will fit the car, but some are just not full kits. There is Jattus, which provides some non-intercooled solutions for low budget/psi.
Custom, however, is best, but requires a lot more knowledge. And in your situation, boosting isn't really an obtainable/realistic option. A custom kit would cost 2-3k. Even more if you want it to be professionally installed.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:07 PM

im just gonna get the AEM then....what brand of headers should i get then ??? and yes i was looking at 4-1 headers people say its better for 5 speed and when it comes to cars i drive nothing but standard, well that sucks because i was looking at gettin some stuff from sharkracing....yea there v8 but there also really really heavy cars and they drive auto.....oh and i want to take out a 240x also he talked smack only because i couldn't drift....wait so all the turbos i been looking at are crap ??? and i wouldn't mind spending that much money since im already gonna be spending that much for a regular turbo but its not like im gonna get the turbo anytime soon haha

but i will beat those mustangs and the 240x one day MY TIB WILL PREVAIL !!! haha.gif

thx alot guys

-Ofo