Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Hydrolocked

Old 07-03-2005, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>DRIVE AROUND IT. If you have to go 3 miles out of your way, hey! You saved yourself! If you have to wait and drive after the rain is over, HEY! Do it.</div>

Believe me there was now way to drive around it, i could have swam for a while if I wanted to there are 3 roads into my house one had almost a foot, that always floods, and the other was the same or worse than the one I drove through, and during hurricane seasonthe water is way above your knees for a few weeks because we get all the water from the whole state because of the St Johns

I am going to put the splashguard on today when I change my oil, I took off the thing that you must take off if you are going to change the tranny fluid, thats the splash guard right

I am going to push my car next time rather than lose performance with a bypass valve
Old 07-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jul 3 2005, 03:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>So, glad your car's okay. If you're still worried get the bypass valve, BTW, how do those affect performance?
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Have you seen the construction on one? All they are is a little tube that you put in place with rubber flaps on them and a foam filter. When your engine starts sucking water in thru the CAI, the additional vaccum makes the rubber flaps pull inside the CAI and it sucks air in thru the bypass, releasing the vaccum and letting the water go back out your CAI.

Under hard driving, the flaps open a bit, so you have air coming in thru your filter, and more air coming in thru the bypass. It's not pretty. The air from the bypass is HOT engine air, and is very turbulent because of the direction it's entering the CAI air stream, almost perpendicular to the incoming air.

The longer the bypass is on the car in that engine bay, the more the rubber degrades and the longer and harder you drive, the more those flaps sit open.

The grey are the flaps.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/010...sted/index.html

Read more here.

They did a dyno in that run too but didn't post the results.

Yeah, I'm talking about possiblities, but if you are paranoid about this shit, GET one. Geesh. Personally. I'll avoid the puddles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (javageek @ Jul 3 2005, 04:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>This is rediculous. For someone to say there is no excuse for driving through a puddle, whatever man.

It's rediculous to avoid the water that could destroy your engine? It's rediculous to wait out the rain? It's rediculous to disconnect your CAI and put the filter on the MAF for an hour or 2?

LOL

I didn't say there was NO excuse. In cases where life, limb, or eyesight is jepordized, you might need one in there.

Or again, you could drive around the big puddles, or call an ambulance. Their intakes are up off the ground. fing02.gif nana.gif How long would it take to pop off the AEM at the MAF and attach a spare filter right there? You can get a spare filter for the cost of the bypass. Hell, even on AEM's advise, that's what they say to do. Put your filter on the upper pipe then swap it back when the rain is over.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I can't just jump out of the car and say hang on, redzman says I need to drive around this one.</div>

Why would you jump out of the car and say that? You'd get soaked! I'd just turn right and go around a block or 3. lmao.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Let me cut through, and drive over this guys yard, and down here, so I can miss the puddle....</div>

ROTFLMAO! THis is frantastic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brian01tib @ Jul 3 2005, 06:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am going to push my car next time rather than lose performance with a bypass valve

THat's a trooper there.

LOL
Old 07-03-2005, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm sure the splash guard would've helped if you still had it in there... and besides, it keeps your filter cleaner for logner too. Who knows how much road grime your tire shoots up onto your filter without that there. I know the underside of my splash guard is pretty dirty....
Old 07-03-2005, 04:40 PM

I had a bypass on my tib. After about 3 months of my driving (120+ miles a day) which is mostly at 65+ MPH the flap was completly stuck open. The filter on the end of the intake was completly clean and the bypass filter cover was filled with dirt. Once I removed that thing was when I saw an increase in HP. They are a good idea but the item itself is not reliable at all. Especially if your tib is a daily driver like a lot of us.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Well, that makes sense, I'm not sure how it really works but I'll bet it was acting like the intake. Meaning you were prolly getting small filthy mcnasties in your engine for a little bit.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:14 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jul 3 2005, 11:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't say there was NO excuse. In cases where life, limb, or eyesight is jepordized, you might need one in there.

Actually you did... owned.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jul 3 2005, 01:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Guys, there is NO EXCUSE AT ALL FOR THIS. I'm sorry, but NONE. Living in Kansas, living in Korea, I don't care if you live in the goddamned ocean. DRIVE AROUND IT. If you have to go 3 miles out of your way, hey! You saved yourself! If you have to wait and drive after the rain is over, HEY! Do it.

But, I am not worried about it. I have a bypass and feel fine driving with it. I check my bypass out everytime I have the hood open, look under the foam, at the foam, etc. All is well. My actual filter gets dirty all the time. If the bypass is installed properly it works as advertised. I remember you saying before that you have not actually seen one being used, how come you are SO against them. Our filters DO get soaked, even with the shields in place, even in an unlowered car. I have got to my destination driving through the rain and after it cleared up I reached in and felt my filter and it was soaked through and through. So bad I needed to replace it, when I pulled the filter off there was moisture inside the CAI tubing..... Heh... screw the bypass... Eyecrazy.gif thinkerg.gif
Old 07-03-2005, 09:56 PM

i feel kind of funny locking a topic with the two admins b****ing at each other, but this is dead. drillsergeant.gif lmao.gif

if you want to give the aem bypass a try, go ahead and see what happens. i wouldnt recommend trying it with your expensive aem tubing thouhg, try it oon an ebay intake and see how it works out.

LOCKED.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

LOL, not b@#%&ing, just poking fun. fing02.gif
Old 07-03-2005, 11:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (javageek @ Jul 3 2005, 06:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually you did... owned.gif <div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Guess you fell asleep reading my total pwnage of joo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jul 3 2005, 12:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Guys, there is NO EXCUSE AT ALL FOR THIS. I'm sorry, but NONE. Living in Kansas, living in Korea, I don't care if you live in the goddamned ocean. DRIVE AROUND IT. If you have to go 3 miles out of your way, hey! You saved yourself! If you have to wait and drive after the rain is over, HEY! Do it.

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:purple">Anyone can say a reason on here, but unless it's a life threatening emergency, there is no reason at all to drive thru that stuff.</span></span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I remember you saying before that you have not actually seen one being used, how come you are SO against them.</div>

nana.gif My friends know how to drive.

joke.gif drillsergeant.gif fing02.gif haha.gif

Java, I'll let you have the last one here. LMAO

owned.gif
\/\/\/\/
Old 07-04-2005, 02:24 PM

my powers are useless. hail.gif