Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Hydrolocked

Old 07-02-2005, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I was on my way home from work today, it was/is raining really hard, dry when i went to work so I figured it would be fine to take my car because I only needed to be there for 1 hour or 2, so I dropped someone else from work off then when I got into my neighborhood I hydrolocked, i have a cai and its lowered, so I was worried the whole way home how the vettes talked about someone loosing their z06 2 autoxes ago due to hydrolocking, so the engine went off and i coasted for 30 ft or so until I got to a dry, well not flooded spot then tried to start the engine, nothing, tried again nothing so I was thinking bout pushing the rest of the way home, about 1/8 mile, but it was pouring so i tried again and it went to 500 rpms so i just started reving it and then i got the rest of the way home and reved some more to make sure nothing was wrong, itt seemed to be ok but the rain was really loud, but i could def hear the car lmao.gif , later i went out to dinner in a diff car of course and the water was about 6 inches high on the roads, becasue of high tide and extra water, I havent seen it this high sense the last hurricanes where it had about a foot or more for a few weeks, is there anything else i can do to ensure the engines fine?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

And people say we don't need the water bypass AEM sells. Thanks for posting this. Hope your car is allright.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:46 PM

wow, id be so nervous. gl man!
Old 07-02-2005, 05:11 PM

brian u dont have much since sumtimes, i live just down the street from u , u should have just called that way we could fix it , but take out 1 spark plug at a time and bump the motor and see if water shoots out , if u are TRUE hydrolocked u wouldnt been able to re-start the motor what happens is the water feels in the motor and the piston cant push upor just plan move (hydrolocked) had to fix pletty hydrolocked cars last year during the hurricanes i just got home fromwork and i have a few tib friends coming over to bullshit hit us up
Old 07-02-2005, 05:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

No, we always say you don't need the bypass unless you live in a place that sees monsoon type weather (ex. hurricanes, extreme thunderstorms).

You probably splashed a little bit of water in there which won't hydrolock it, but you probably did stall it. If you hydrolocked completely you wouldn't be driving anywhere, and you would've been pushing the car. lmao.gif
Old 07-02-2005, 05:15 PM

well i hought it was hydrolocked, mayhave not been, if it wouldnt have started back up, but i am stuck for a while now, prolly until tommorow because of driving through rivers, what color is your tib, mines blue, on the westside
Old 07-02-2005, 05:32 PM

I'm glad i'm in the desert. The drainage systems here aren't engineered well at all though, so the streets flood fast, so come rainy season i'll probably just go SRI instead. Hope things work out for you tho man.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:34 PM

check your oil.. if you got water into the cylinders, there is a good chance it got past the rings and into the oil. If so, you need to change ASAP before you ruin your bearings.

It will be quite noticible. Water or coolant in the oil turns into a slimey milkshake like substance.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:41 PM

The oil looks like no water got in but i am changing it tommorow becaus my last day of racing got it really dark
Old 07-02-2005, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (javageek @ Jul 2 2005, 04:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>And people say we don't need the water bypass AEM sells. Thanks for posting this. Hope your car is allright.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

We don't.

Drive around the water.

LOL

I know I say it alot, but you know... Common sence.