Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

How Do You Get A Door Off? Bent Hinges?

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon RD2

I had my car in neutral one day with the e-brake half way up (where I usually put it). The car was warming up half way out my garage while I went inside to grab something. I came back out and the only thing keeping my car in the garage was the drivers side door. The door checker snapped, and I also believe the hinges are bent because the door doesn't line up and gets cause on the fender when you try to open it. I replaced the door checker but no fix. What do i do?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

A big steel hammer and wood might do it. I remember fixing some woman's Volvo door once from a similar situation. I had to take the door off the hinges and beat the hinges until I was senseless pretty much. In the end her door was still resistive for the last 10 or so degrees when shutting the door but it did shut and latch correctly.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM

I cant even get the hinges off the door they wont unscrew all the way. Not to mention all the wiring that is connected to the door from the car.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The door wiring is the least of your concerns right now. If the door will open, you can open the door (pun! ) and get the wiring undone.

A
L
W
A
Y
S

yank that e-brake handle all the way up. My Darling Wife complains about how far I set the brake, but then we don't end up with this thread coming from me!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Question is how do I get the door completely off the car so I can take the hinges off and get new ones from a junkyard.

Got new hinges, bent some stuff. Fixed for now thanks for the help.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'm guessing that, unless you were really lucky, the spot where the hinges attach will be bent also. Don't go too nuts on the door striker and adjusting the hinges, until you make sure the door is mounted on a straight surface at the hinge end. Hanging a door is hard enough without it being bolted to a bent body (ask me how I know)