Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

How Do I Fix My Damn A/c?

Old 06-18-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well the title explains most of this... one day my A/C just stopped working and I have been living without it for a couple weeks now. it SUCKS. its been so hot and humid lately that not only am I dying from the conditions, but my windshield even fogs over! My neighbor happened to have a couple cans of the correct refrigerant stuff and the connector valves/hoses so we tried to fill it and it just wont take it at all... sat there for probably an hour and the can barely drained anything. and it had plenty of pressure.

Also, my compressor isnt engaging when the a/c is switched on, but my neighbor said that sometimes theres a "low pressure switch" or something like that that stops it from turning on when there isnt enough refrigerant. but judging by the fact that it didnt seem to want any refrigerant, maybe the compressor is shot? or the compressor clutch? At this point I really dont have a clue. If it is the compressor itself, how would I know? and Im not sure, but that sounds expensive to replace... haha. I looked up a couple of old threads about similar problems, but so far none have really helped. hopefully you guys will! thanks
Old 06-18-2006, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

could be you need a new A/C compressor.

also have you done a leak test? my 01 tib had leaky shrader valves.. they're pretty cheap at a dealership. like$2.50. maybe its as simple as that
Old 06-18-2006, 04:26 PM

We do have a low pressure switch.

You were definitely trying to fill the low pressure side, not the high, right? The low pressure valve is between the firewall and compressor, easy to find. I'm assuming you had the blower on max and AC button on when trying to fill. Post the pressure of the low and high sides.

You can verify that the compressor clutch still works by giving it 12v and seeing if it engages with the car on. The gap could simply need adjustment if it doesn't engage, or more likely it's dead.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Your AC Clutch could be toast too.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:12 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

do a leak down and tell me what parts you need from here, and i will look and get you a price from my A/C
man from here
Old 06-18-2006, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fonseca @ Jun 18 2006, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>We do have a low pressure switch.

You were definitely trying to fill the low pressure side, not the high, right? The low pressure valve is between the firewall and compressor, easy to find. I'm assuming you had the blower on max and AC button on when trying to fill. Post the pressure of the low and high sides.

You can verify that the compressor clutch still works by giving it 12v and seeing if it engages with the car on. The gap could simply need adjustment if it doesn't engage, or more likely it's dead.</div>

haha yea we were trying on the low pressure side. and again correct about the a/c button on and the blower on max. I didnt pay attention to what the pressure was, Ill have to get him back over here either later today or tomorrow and mess with it a bit more.

and mad_john Ill let you know as soon as I do wink1.gif

wont let me edit already sorry. if it is the compressor clutch failing to engage, is that by itself replaceable or would i need a whole new compressor? thanks again
Old 06-18-2006, 07:40 PM

Sometimes when the level goes to low you will have to jump the ac clutch and get it to run while you fill then you can plug it in with the factory wiring and it will work, if it won't kick on when you jump it that will most likely meen the clutch is bad, if it works when you jump it but not with the factory wiring and you have enough refrigerant in it, it could be a bad low pressure switch or a blow fuse.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Do you just jump a straight 12 volts to it?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^no
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaxxTib @ Jun 18 2006, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Sometimes when the level goes to low you will have to jump the ac clutch and get it to run while you fill then you can plug it in with the factory wiring and it will work, if it won't kick on when you jump it that will most likely meen the clutch is bad, if it works when you jump it but not with the factory wiring and you have enough refrigerant in it, it could be a bad low pressure switch or a blow fuse.</div>

The way I've done it in the past, I'd have to look for the cable, go to a parts store and they'll help you. (never had to on the tib) Only done it on an s-10 and a camaro

Typically you'll have a three pin cable and you have to jump two of those pins together to get the compressor to kick on if there is no pressure in the lines. You just bypassing a switch that's there to protect the compressor from running with no pressure. You won't be able to fill the system without the a/c working.

Put in a can of leak fix first. then I think it's 2 cans of freeon (rwhatever)
Old 07-11-2007, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

We run a magnetic clutch, only one wire that I have seen. I have the stop leak and freon all ready to go my clutch just won't engage.