Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Hks Exhaust?

Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Wow, didn't know anyone actually had it.

We should contact them and have em make a full exhaust.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:36 AM

go ahead. im sure they'll do it. lets do a GB from the cat back or from the header.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

If we could make this happen, I'd hold out to get a full HKS exhaust this spring/late winter.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Someone find out the contact information.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:12 PM

yeah i would be in for getting a catback from HKS this fall or winter.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:59 PM

Anyone have the HKS with headers too? Hows the sound with that?

What are the gains like? I don't exactly understand the term "axle-back" but doesn't that mean it's just the rear section and doesn't extend af far back as the cat?

On CarDomain the HKS goes for like $275, but I have an RD2 and they say it's only for the 97-99 Tib.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:52 AM

The setup I used to have was HVE 4-1's/ Magnaflow cat/ generic flexpipe/ MBRP midpipe/ HKS SuperDrager rear section.

The HKS was pretty quiet when I had it bolted to the stock system- a nice low growl. Once I added the rest of the exhaust, it just got louder and a little higher in pitch. With those specific parts, I didn't get the typical "buzz," either. Wish I had a sound file, but at the time, I didn't have anything digital in the house.

The problem with my specific HKS exhaust was that I got it used, with an unconfirmed number of miles on it, and after about a year on my Tib, the bottom rusted out. The muffler has a really thin skin, and I got a little moisture contamination in the packing. The rest of the part is solid. Not sure how repairable it was, so I dropped the whole thing and went with a more cost-efficient (read: cheap) setup. It was the nicest sounding n/a exhaust I've ever heard- not just saying it 'cause it was on my car.

Now, I run a 4-2-1 setup with a heavy-duty cat and the Motoria exhaust...got buzz, and it's freakin' loud, but it's tolerable.

This is what is meant by "axle-back" HKS Installed

Here's what the HKS looks like installed:
Tip Closeup

Not to turn this into a f/s reply, but I still have all the parts from the old exhaust (above), if anyone's interested...
Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 AM

I looked into this exhaust before I went with the Apexi Catback.

Usually, reputed manfucturers like these test their exhausts extensively before launch, first for noise and then for flow (read: gains)

The feedback for the HKS is that it sounds very deep and low. Not buzzy and not like a fart can. I've seen this one in person and is definately a good muffler.

I can only guess as to why HKS didn't make a full exhaust...Perhaps they didn't think there was demand for a full setup at their high asking prices? Or perhaps they weren't able to gain much power over stock?

I remember seeing a dyno showing a 8-10WHP or more gain with just the Apexi if I'm not mistaken. The big brands like to guard their reputation I suppose. The pictures that Ammoman posted confirm that the piping isn't thick enough to offer any significant gains if left alone. Do a custom full exhaust with the HKS at the end and thats a different story. Good Luck.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:52 AM

I had the HKS equal lenght 4-1 headers... they have a 2.5 OUTLET which is perfect for upper band power.

I loved those headers. They were quiet but had a nice deep tone to them...

They were my favorite NA mod behind the "random special" .

HKS makes a lot of products for RDs.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:26 PM

Can't find anything on their website. Where are these products sold?