Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

High Flow Cat & Resonator

Old 09-06-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I currently have a 4-1 manifold w/ flex pipe that bolts straight up to the car with no mods. I also have the After Cat HKS exhaust. So I know I need a high flow cat would it do any justice since I plan on keeping the resonator?

Or is there a such thing as a high flow resonator. It doesnt make sense but it might be out there.

I just dont want it to be louder than it already is. I like my shit purring not waking up the block.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:13 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Is your resonator see through? what about your muffler?

Glasspacks come louvered and perforated, louvered are see through which means better airflow. I guess that could be considered a performance resonator. perforated will restrict airflow.

Lots of people have low, rumbling exhaust tones with 4-2-1's, hi-flow cat, a LONG (30"+) glasspack and a nice muffler. I'd take a sound clip of mine but it'll have to wait (cuz I don't have a muffler on the car right now, the guy making my MBRP muffler must of decided to let his 3 year-old son give a shot at welding the cannon together, idiots...

anyway, I like my exhaust. I though tit was funny listening to all the RD people talk about glasspacks for their cars, c'mon we drive 4 cylinders. I've heard of glasspacks on behemouth 5.0L V6's and 8's but never on engine's like ours. Oh well, I guess everyone does it and now I'm even considering one over my stock MBRP resonator.

But all in all, as long as you have a CAT (hi-flow) and a long resonator/glasspack and a muffler that's not just a striaght thru pipe then your exhaust should not set off car alarms in different counties.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

a resonator is a piece of piple with a larger diameter to lessen/lower the noise your exhaust makes. there is nothing there to restrict flow.

carsound cat is a very good high flow cat to get.

i dont like glasspacks or other high flow catalytic converters. just my opinion.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

resonators can be louvered or preforated. louvered will restrict airflow, not preforated. all glasspacks are preforated, not louvered.

you can get a thrush glasspack off of summit racing for super cheap, and it helps a lot.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

^my bad
dyslexia...
Old 09-07-2005, 09:38 AM

Random Technologies have some of the best cats available, the only thing is that they're kinda expensive.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 AM

so yall would recomment getting a high flow cat and a glasspack and new piping to my axel back exhaust to keep the sound down?

i have an automatic and i hate the loud auto exhaust sound