Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Hids Don't Like My Fuse.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

So I turned on my HIDs yesterday, and 5 minutes later, they shut off. Wouldn't come back on again.
The lowbeam fuse had blown. I changed it out with a new one, and this time after turning the lights on, the fuse blew within 5 seconds.

So... should I put a fuse in that's rated for 20 instead of 15, or would that be a bad bad bad idea?
I'm not sure what I should do. I don't want to put a higher fuse in and risk fire or badness.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

haha 20's do the job mang. never have 15's on HID's or they'll pop like fruit loops.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

be careful....

most of the stock wiring is put together keeping in mind the 15amp rated fuses. throw a 20 in and you could burn up the stock wiring and create some fire hazards.

what is happening is that while HIDs require much less power than halogens, the initial charge-up needs a pretty good amount of current and it pops the 15er. my HIDs dont though, so not really sure.

i would check all your connections first if the HIDs came on once and are now popping fuses.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

*nods* I checked the connections first, everything appears to be alright.
I just put a 20 amp fuse in and the lights are working again, however i'm having the same problem I mentioned awhile ago, where the drivers side light does not come on sometimes.

However, I found that if I rev the engine up and hold it at about 2k rpm when I flick the lights on, both lights will come on everytime. Any idea why that might be happening?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0t

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Jul 31 2006, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>haha 20's do the job mang. never have 15's on HID's or they'll pop like fruit loops.</div>

lmao.gif my fruit loops dont do that! sure you arnt mixing them up with Snap, Crackle and Pop?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:32 PM

t01 is right though my fuses and lights are working fine it's still good to check. do your HID's have relay harness? is your connection right? it shouldn't be coming on once you hit a certain rpm that's ridiculous. what kind of HID's do you have?

i don't know if this helps, but when my fuse started popping i had my pos, neg backwards but that was for an H3, not a plug and play light kit.

lmao.gif haha.gif tucan sam ownz rice krispies jooo.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

my low beams turn on all the time, but one of my fogs sometimes doesn't turn on (I have HIDs for both lows and fogs)

i think it's because of naturally bad stock grounding wires + weak stock battery/alternator
Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I wouldn't risk by putting there 20A fuse instead of 15A.

HIDs needs less power (as I remember about 20W instead of 55W in halogens) so higher fuse is not needed.

Check connections and ballast blocks.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:49 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Aug 1 2006, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>t01 is right though my fuses and lights are working fine it's still good to check. do your HID's have relay harness? is your connection right? it shouldn't be coming on once you hit a certain rpm that's ridiculous. what kind of HID's do you have?

i don't know if this helps, but when my fuse started popping i had my pos, neg backwards but that was for an H3, not a plug and play light kit.</div>
Kantizuni,

on that note... can you double check your wiring connections into the stock headlight bulb connectors.

It should be like this:

HID wires - Stock H7 (lows) connector

Red............Brown
Black..........Yellow

Also, try insulating the ballast housing from the touching metal parts of the car.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:43 PM

try seeing if your bulb is tightly inserted. in this case it would flicker but it could also be not tightened.

with 15's if i turned the lights on without the engine running the fuse would go. i've upped to 20a and it's fine for me now.